Helping members in need - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Ideas and Suggestions If ideas are never brought up, they never have a chance of happening!!!

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2006, 07:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ndurbin
Helping members in need

I got to thinking this morning...............what about if we put together a Powerstroke.org "Travel Companion"..............basically a volunteer list of people across the country willing to help other fellow members out in a pinch. I took the name travel companion from the TDR but ya'll can call it whatever you want.

Basically it's purely volunteer, provide as much or as lil help as you want. List things like if you have trailer parking, a shop, basic/advanced tools, trailer towing capabilites, etc. One (the TDR version) has a option if you just want to meet and greet type thing.

Make it into a spreadsheet members can request and print out to take along with them on trips and what not.

What do ya'll think?

Last edited by ndurbin; 10-06-2006 at 07:49 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2006, 07:51 AM
Banned

I second this idea. I think it would be great to have our own "network" of members all over the country, with as much traveling as most of us do, it would be nice to have someone to call if we got into an emergency situation. I would guess most people on here would be willing to throw their name in the hat for something like this.

I'm in.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:00 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndurbin View Post
I got to thinking this morning...............what about if we put together a Powerstroke.org "Travel Companion"..............basically a volunteer list of people across the country willing to help other fellow members out in a pinch. I took the name travel companion from the TDR but ya'll can call it whatever you want.

Basically it's purely volunteer, provide as much or as lil help as you want. List things like if you have trailer parking, a shop, basic/advanced tools, trailer towing capabilites, etc. One (the TDR version) has a option if you just want to meet and greet type thing.

Make it into a spreadsheet members can request and print out to take along with them on trips and what not.

What do ya'll think?
I think thats a great idea.
Theres a similar deal on anohter forum i belong to - a vegi oil forum - and they have it set up where when peopl are traveling, and need vegi fuel, those that are willing to donate 20-30 gallons to help fill someones tank can do so. I had a guy at my house last Sat. that was headed to AL and needed a tank of vegi, he was able to email me - I had posted that I did have a plentifull supply of oil and he asked and I told him to stop by. He was there about a two hours, we talked about our trucks and different aspects of our unique conversions etc. The kool thing about that guy was he had just finished his conversion and this was his first time to actually see if it worked so we filled his tanb and he warmed the truck up, switched it over to vegi fuel and we waited till we smelled that french fry smell coming from his exhaust and he was just all grins. That made it really kool.
this is kinda like a "pay it forward" way of doing things. I donate some oil here and there and when i travel, others will do the same for me. Works out well.
I have met 3 traveling vegi oilers that way.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:04 AM
Conservative and Proud

I'm game, but I think discretion and security should be thought of when giving the info out!
Old 10-06-2006, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee34 View Post
I'm game, but I think discretion and security should be thought of when giving the info out!
Yeah.............I've seen some guys on other forums provide email address or say to PM them to contact them for phone/contact numbers.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:20 AM
Banned

Yeah we're going to have to come up with a way to exchange info without sharing with everybody and their dog. I don't want non members calling me. This could be tricky.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:24 AM
Conservative and Proud

Also..... we don't really want people saying their route either..... had some guys get their truck and enclosed trailer (full of quads and tools) stolen right in front of their hotel room!

Keep it to Premium members where everyone can't see it! But even then.... we don't know who is for real etc...... This is going to take some thought!
Old 10-06-2006, 08:39 AM
I don't know nuttin....

On the other foum i mentioned, it's by email only but of course it can be hard to contact someone quick that way. When your in a pinch and need to get ahold of them you almost would have to have at least a cell phone number.
Definately a good Premium member only deal. Thats another plus to get premiums to join. Doesn't make it anymore secure though.
I wouldn't have any problem giving out my cell phone #...i don't think anyone could track me to my house with that can they?
Old 10-06-2006, 11:11 AM

True everyone isn't inherantly honest, but hopefully it won't be abused so it can be of use when someone needs it.

Could probably just go as general as stating your username, a contact of some sort (wether it's PM, email, or a phone number), and location. Then it's upto the member how much info they want to put out or keep secret.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndurbin View Post

What do ya'll think?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

#1 09-18-2006, 12:02 AM
mech2161
Posting Guru Join Date: Oct 2004

Members only 911 info?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After seeing how all the members in this forum would drop and do for others, may I suggest this. A members only area (7.3 diesels) for those willing to help a fellow FTE'r with contact info (phone numbers) for those that may need help while traveling. I don't know if this is even possible, an area where only supporters can find contact information of other members. A list of people willing to lend a hand.

Seems like someone liked my idea from FTE

Last edited by mech2161; 10-06-2006 at 11:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.