6.4 Daily Driver - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Ideas and Suggestions If ideas are never brought up, they never have a chance of happening!!!

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2012, 03:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.4 Daily Driver

I am wanting to buy a 08-10 6.4 Powerstroke. I have read about the fuel mileage but I'm not really worried about the fuel mileage. I usually drive about 15 minutes to work. I just want a diesel engine that wont cost me a lot of money and i really like how the 6.4 trucks look. Sometimes I will pull a boat on the weekends but that's about all the pulling I do. I just want to know if driving a 6.4 daily is going to hurt it or not because I really don't want another gas burner truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2012, 04:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Wrong location for your thread. But I'll answer anyway. Do you use your truck for work? I'd never buy a diesel truck and only run it 15 minutes at a time.

Park the truck if you dont actually need it and commute in something cheap to run then fuel costs are a non issue along with the problem associated with barely running a modern diesel while using it like a car.

Jason
Old 06-09-2012, 04:42 PM
The Silent Service

Biggest issue with running the 6.4L under short-term DD conditions in the frequency you will see DPF regens.

Mods can move the thread into the general 6.4L section, just send one a PM.

Not everyone wants to drive a commuter car to-from work, and I think modern diesels suffer more issues from not being driven continuously. When the number of drivers out there that dont pay attention, I'd rather be in a larger truck myself, if I get hit I like the chances I'll walk away from it.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Will it be better with a dpf delete?
Old 06-09-2012, 06:46 PM
Premium Member

wrong truck to buy if you are looking for cheap to operate, fuel, maintenance and repairs all cost more with the 6.4
Old 06-09-2012, 07:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyeah1518 View Post
I just want a diesel engine that wont cost me a lot of money <----- Not the motor for you then.I just want to know if driving a 6.4 daily is going to hurt it or not because I really don't want another gas burner truck.
If you get it you have two choices basically:
1. Leave it stock. Terribly mileage. Possible DPF clogging issues from the short drives and not allowing regens to finish or get very hot. Also, expensive maintenance.
2. Spend the money to delete/tune it. Fix the possible issues. Also, expensive maintenance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.