Hauling the Space shuttle??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Humor Jokes, Darwin Awards, Funny Vids and Pics - Keep 'em within the Powerstroke.org conduct

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 02:26 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to f250ghost Send a message via MSN to f250ghost Send a message via Yahoo to f250ghost
Hauling the Space shuttle???

Oh really, Toyota? It's supposedly going to use a Tundra to haul Shuttle Endeavour from the airport to the California Space Center...video is below. I'm definitely skeptical...I posted it under humor because I find it hard to believe a gasser Tundra (That supposedly hasn't been updated) is gonna do this successfully...but hey, maybe I'm wrong.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2012, 04:46 PM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via AIM to f250ghost Send a message via MSN to f250ghost Send a message via Yahoo to f250ghost
Guess I'm the only one amused by this LOL
Old 09-22-2012, 04:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I think its funny they didnt show it towing the trailers. maybe it couldnt do it?
Old 09-22-2012, 04:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The comments on the you tube video are hilarious hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 09-24-2012, 07:54 AM
Serving Our Country!

I dunno! I really don't think it will be able to lol Even a diesel would have to work to do it...let alone a weak and flimsy Yota!
Old 09-24-2012, 08:03 AM
Premium Member

I was really hoping/expecting the video to show us the Tundra pulling 300,000 lbs of trailer.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

One the biggest issues is to get 307,000lbs to moving. "After" it's moving, 'yota might be able to keep it moving, but I'm thinking they're going to strain the ever-loving crap out of that thing. "They" (Museum folks) say it's supposed to be a two day trip!

So....I'm thinking this way. Either 1) they get the load moving with the Tundra (if that's possible), they'll film it (for the marketing) to show it can be done and then they'll substitute a vehicle suited to tow that load -OR- 2) They'll have a whole fleet of Tundras available to swap in when the one towing starts crapping out. What are they going to do, sell that or 'those' trucks saying they pulled the shuttle?
Realistically, I'm thinking there will be multiple vehicles (not Toyotas) moving that thing...maybe a push / pull arrangement given the route they have to take.

Sure...we'd all like to think we could hook up our trucks and pull that load. I do think we'd have a better shot at it than the Toyota, but let's be realistic. 307,000 pounds would put a strain on any vehicle...even one specifically designed to pull it.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:24 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Lol there is actually another video on YouTube and the dollies that are carrying the shuttle are completely robotic and move under their own power. The tundra isn't going to pull the shuttle until the last little straight stretch. And I too find it funny that they won't show the tundra squat down and pull that 150 ton test load. Makes you wonder just how far they actually plan on pullin the shuttle with the yota. Lol they will probably only pull it like 50 feet then claim to have the strongest truck on the planet.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

My uncle had a tundra....it could hardly pull a 24' boat up a mild slope. I can only imagine what would happen if they truly attempted to pull the shuttle with that. :what:

Sent from my DROID BIONIC while wasting time at work...
Old 09-24-2012, 08:50 AM
CSP Resident Spooby

I guess Toyota still feels like they have something to prove
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.