Dog Training Advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Goin' Hunting! This is for all your hunting stories, plans, questions, etc...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2009, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Dog Training Advice

My 1y7mo old yellow lab named Casper and he will not fetch. I know this is pretty much my fault that he wont fetch because we didn't do it much when he was a puppy. The reason is that he didn't live with me due to previous accidents and my girl friend was nervous about him staying with me. Ok, back to the problem. He will not fetch at all if he is not in the water. He will chase after it but will not bring it back. If we are in the water, he will go get and bring it back but he wont bring it to me. I want to be able for him to fetch stuff so we can play and hopefully be able to go hunting with me. Thanks for any tips. Here is my baby boy:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2009, 11:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
put a string or rope on his coller then when he wont bring it back drag him to you so he has no choice but to bring back what he is fetching. and with labs a lot of times take them out with another lab that knows what it is doing and they will compete as far as bringing your birds back. my lab wont fetch anything that isnt a bird, wheather it be a ball stick or anything. but i shoot a duck he will sure as heck get it and bring it to me
Old 04-24-2009, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by powersmoker View Post
put a string or rope on his coller then when he wont bring it back drag him to you so he has no choice but to bring back what he is fetching. and with labs a lot of times take them out with another lab that knows what it is doing and they will compete as far as bringing your birds back. my lab wont fetch anything that isnt a bird, wheather it be a ball stick or anything. but i shoot a duck he will sure as heck get it and bring it to me
What about the stuff he wont even get? He will run up to it but he want get it. My girlfriend has a lab and whent they are together they will go get it and then they try to take it from each other but he does do better about getting it when she is around
Old 04-24-2009, 12:35 PM
Emergency Services

our shep. is stubborn. i use cheese. when he performs the task i give him, i reward him with a peice of cheese. thus teaching him that if he does it the way i want him to he will get a peice of wonderful cheese. or use whatever he likes the best.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:40 PM

treats its all about the treats. i have a 6 month aussie and he sits shakes lays down rolls over stays fetches loads up(say yload up and he jumps in my arms so i can put him in the truck) he wouldnt fetch even at the dog park he would just chase the dogs who were fetching and we used treats and he fetches and now we dont give him many treats and he just learns
Old 04-24-2009, 01:42 PM

While he is on a lease....play fetch with someone elses dog ??.. I had a yellow lab which I bought from a professional (owner of a chesapeake bay champion)That is how he used to teach the pupil dogs to retrieve.
Hope your lab is not as hard headed as mine was..
Old 04-24-2009, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

Treats dont work because he wont do it. I need something to get him to do it and then i could go from there
Old 04-26-2009, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Well he has been doing better today. I am going to work on all the tips y'all gave me this week. Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.