Gonna Purchase a New Rifle - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Goin' Hunting! This is for all your hunting stories, plans, questions, etc...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2009, 06:25 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gonna Purchase a New Rifle

Hey All,
I've read and heard a lot about them but want some other opinions. Am looking for a new deer rifle. Right now I have a Remington Model 700 30-06 and a Model 770 in 7mm-08. I like both of them but I want something with increased accuracy as I'm big on that, especially for long ranges.

I'm looking at getting a new Savage Model 10FCP-Law Enforcement in .308 caliber. The major things I want on this new gun:

1. A Muzzle Brake. I shot my buddy's .300 Mag with a muzzle brake it kicks considerably less than my 30-06 (My '06 is a punisher).
2. Detatchable box Magazine. Like the simplicity and ease of loading/unloading... especially in the WI cold.
3. Synthetic stock. Looks of synthetic lasts longer, less prone to scuffs and scratches.
4. Heavy, Free Floating Barrel. Increased accuracy.
5. Under $900. I want to keep the entire package with scope under $1000 and will most likely get a Nikon 3x9 with BDC as I have 2 other Nikons already.
6. Adjustable trigger squeeze. Both of my Remington's have awful trigger squeeze when compared to higher quality rifle's I've shot.

Here's the one I'm looking at. Anyone have anything similar? Any other Suggestions? Any comments on the Savage rifles with the AccuTrigger?Thanks much.

Savage Arms Model 10FP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2009, 06:30 AM
Raging Lunatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I drive tacks with my 7mm Mag. 700BDL at 200 yds. Granted I have the barrel bedded, but for the money I don't think you can beat it. As far as the trigger I've had it tweaked and it's nice, now, I am going to have a muzzle brake installed very soon, due to my age.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have a ruger 7mm rrem mag and the gun is sweet. composite stock bolt action.the gun is amazingly accurate. never let me down in the cold upstate ny hunting season.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:44 AM

Of my rifles, I prefer my .270 Tikka T3. I think it has all of those features that you mentioned and it has good groups. I have a Zeiss Conquest scope on it and I really like the setup.

Here's a link to their site...they're made by Beretta.
Tikka T3
Old 02-21-2009, 07:00 AM
Premium Member

Yeah... Read A LOT on the Tikka as well and the .300 I mentioned in original post was a Rugar. Really smooth shooting rifle. I'm actually looking to down-size a bit from the 30-06. I love shooting and after about 10 rounds from my Model 700, my shoulder has just about had it which is why I bought the 7mm-08 but the Model 770 does not perform real well. Great gun for a younger hunter I think though. Can't wait to take my niece hunting with it someday.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 02-21-2009, 08:05 AM
back to business

I won't get into my opinions on the good, better, best cartridges, as it seems you have that part figured out

I will however comment on the savage. I wouldn't waste my $!!

Here's why - One of my first jobs was working in a friends gun shop (he's a master gunsmith, been in the buisness for over 20 years), my dad has sold guns (retail) off and on sine the early 90's, and my family is friends with the owners of two reputable gun shop owners (the one previously mentioned and another) ............ Now gathering the experiance from all these people, one thing becomes clear, the ONLY type of rifle we see routinely returned for warranty work / replacement / refund, is the SAVAGE. Not to say we don't see an occasional ruger, remington, win. ect, but they are few and far between.

That being said - Savage did hit a homerun with that accutrigger, it's better than any facroty trigger I've seen (I always drop in a Timmney on my new rifles anyway though )
Old 02-21-2009, 09:27 AM
Premium Member

Ruger #1. If you can do a single shot.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

you won't need a muzzle break on a .308. they don't kick enough to begin with. It'll just make it loud. .308 isn't a very big cartridge. I wouldn't hunt anything bigger that deer with it. My Remington Sendero heavy fluted barrel .300 ultra mag, now that needs a muzzle break! 180 gr. barnes x triple shock, 3,350 feet per second around 4,700 ft. lbs. of energy from the muzzle. My prefered deer rifle is a Ruger m77 .270, can't beat it. The .300 shoots the elk though.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:13 PM

check put the Kimber M84 Montana in 308/ tack driver at 200yds. less than a grand. SWEET
Old 02-22-2009, 09:41 AM

I'll second the vote for the Tikka,,, I just got a T3 lite stainless composite 30 06, with Bushnell 4200 elite, 5 shot groups you can almost cover with a quater, really nice smooth action, and nice and light for packing around in the bush
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.