Any Expert Reloaders???????? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Goin' Hunting! This is for all your hunting stories, plans, questions, etc...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2009, 05:29 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Any Expert Reloaders????????

I think the political time has come to learn how to reload and stock up. Don't know a thing about it, but I'm thinking progressives would be easiest. I'm not a match shooter so ultra precision may not be necessary, but quantity is.

Educate me, PLEASE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2009, 05:35 PM
Serving Our Country!

hey i know what you mean cause i am looking into it now i aint reloaded in about 10 years an that was my uncle showing me and i don't really remember what all is involved and if you aint got any replys by tue when i go back to work my buddy knows how and he is the one that is going to teach me i will get him to write up everything and i will post it for you
Old 01-18-2009, 06:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchip View Post
I think the political time has come to learn how to reload and stock up. Don't know a thing about it, but I'm thinking progressives would be easiest. I'm not a match shooter so ultra precision may not be necessary, but quantity is.

Educate me, PLEASE
Are a pistol and revolver shooter, or mostly rifle? If rifle, do you shoot a lot or just sight in your rifle and hunt? It really is simpler to reload with a single stage machine, each stage of reloading done one at a time. Progressive machines are great for higher volume shooters, but you need to have a good understanding of the process and keep up with what's going on as you load. I can recommend the Dillon RL550B personally, and have used an RCBS rockchucker single stage also. Both great presses. First you need a reloading manual, or three. They should have good instructions as well as safe powder charges for each caliber, powder and bullet type. The biggest advantange to reloading is being able to load for calibers that the local shop doesn't carry. I can also vouch for Dillons tech support and superb warranty!
Old 01-18-2009, 06:24 PM
Premium Member

I shoot lotsa scattergun, as do my kids. Getting more into pistol, both 9 and .357 and about to score a .357 rifle. 30-06 is my deer rifle and the one I'm most concerned about ammo for. I don't know where this country is headed, but I want to be prepared.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchip View Post
I shoot lotsa scattergun, as do my kids. Getting more into pistol, both 9 and .357 and about to score a .357 rifle. 30-06 is my deer rifle and the one I'm most concerned about ammo for. I don't know where this country is headed, but I want to be prepared.
I read some good advice in a gun magazine today, guy said to put yourself on an ammo buying plan. Get two boxes of ammo every payday. You have some to shoot, some to put away. I used to do this at WalMart, buy a couple of those 550 round boxes of .22LR by Federal every so often. Adds up quickly...
Old 01-19-2009, 03:15 AM
Premium Member

I've been doing that. I've got about 15 bricks of .22 and my goal is 25-30. I could survive on that. I've got about 2k shotgun hulls to work with, but am going to start buying brass and powder. I need to pick up a reloading book I guess. Any suggestions?
Old 01-19-2009, 05:06 AM

I have a book by Lyman, and have seen good ones by Speer, Nosler and Sierra. Almost all the powder makers have an abbreviated book of loads for their powders, pick up all those you can find. There is a site I like called accuratereloading.com that has a lot of very knowledgeable shooters, reloaders, gunsmiths and hunters there. Also look for reloading info online. There are ballistics computing programs that are pretty interesting. You can get into this pretty deep if youre not careful!
Old 01-19-2009, 05:33 AM
Premium Member

Yea, that's what I'm afraid of. I like to live by the K.I.S.S. rule(Keep it simple, stupid). I want a reliable loader that is durable and easy. Again, I'm not shooting match rounds so easy is better. I may change my attitude later, but to start, easy is the rule.

Right now I shoot quality,(expensive) shotshell, Federal Supreme Partition rifle bullets, and bargain pistol loads.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:40 AM
Raging Lunatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I used the RCBS Rockchucker for years. You will be surprised how manyh loads you can do after the few hundred . Actually for what you want it is the most reliable and simplest.

I used the Sierra manuel. I am saying this all in the past tense due to the fact someone wanted it worse than I.

As far as shotguns go it's hard to beat a Mec. and progressive's are the way to go there.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:13 AM
Premium Member

The Rock Chucker seems like the old standard in reloaders. I've heard that name over and over. I was thinking of that or maybe upgrading from that to like the 2000. And yea, the MEC is another standard in shotshell loading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.