Bow hunting out of a tree stand questions...maybe some insight and tips! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Goin' Hunting! This is for all your hunting stories, plans, questions, etc...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-16-2013, 08:46 AM
7.3 4 Ever! Nothing else!
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4,169
Thanks: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Bow hunting out of a tree stand questions...maybe some insight and tips!

Ok guys, most of you know I am an avid hunter! Last year was my first year bow hunting. 2 Years ago I bought a Summit climbing tree stand. Used for gun season the year before and tried using it for bow sean. Problem is the seat is all the way adjusted to sit up as high as it will go. Problem I am having is I have to stand up to draw my bow back because of the "shooters rail" that goes across the front.

Is it possible or anyone have any tips on how to adjust this being able to draw my bow back with out having to stand up? Missed a couple deer last year due to standing up. And really dont want to buy another one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 08-16-2013, 08:48 AM
Mitch
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hazelhurst, WI
Posts: 584
Thanks: 5
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The stand I have, the rail rotates up. I just locked it in the rotate up position while bow hunting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 08-16-2013, 08:58 AM
7.3 4 Ever! Nothing else!
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4,169
Thanks: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebierguy View Post
The stand I have, the rail rotates up. I just locked it in the rotate up position while bow hunting.
I wish mine could do that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 08-16-2013, 09:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 179
Thanks: 45
Thanked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I had one where I had to cut the rail and sleeve it with bolts so I could take it on or off as needed. It was a lil bit of a pain but cheaper on the wallet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 08-16-2013, 09:51 AM
7.3 4 Ever! Nothing else!
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4,169
Thanks: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by F350Bigfoot View Post
I had one where I had to cut the rail and sleeve it with bolts so I could take it on or off as needed. It was a lil bit of a pain but cheaper on the wallet.
have pics of the set up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 08-16-2013, 06:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 179
Thanks: 45
Thanked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No it died a few years ago. It was a cheap one. Never did like sitting in a tree. I just cut the rifle rest down near where it mounts and found a piece of pipe that fit snug inside it and drilled 2 holes on either side to put bolts in it. Worked pretty nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 08-17-2013, 05:23 AM
Member

 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 45
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Shooting a bow while seated in a stand really limits your natural movement ability that is needed to properly shoot. Shooting while standing straight up is not recommended shooting down at a target either. To shoot while standing, bend your knees and 'squat' some, this will allow you a truer sight picture and arrow flight path. Missing from a stand or anywhere is usually attributed to not enough practice and knowing your bow. But on the other hand, we all miss sometimes. Heck, I measured distances on the ground incorrectly when I first set my stand up, cost me a nice 8 pt that year. It's called hunting, not shopping. Best wishes to you this year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 08-17-2013, 09:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Auburn, In.
Posts: 395
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_forward View Post
Shooting a bow while seated in a stand really limits your natural movement ability that is needed to properly shoot. Shooting while standing straight up is not recommended shooting down at a target either. To shoot while standing, bend your knees and 'squat' some, this will allow you a truer sight picture and arrow flight path. Missing from a stand or anywhere is usually attributed to not enough practice and knowing your bow. But on the other hand, we all miss sometimes. Heck, I measured distances on the ground incorrectly when I first set my stand up, cost me a nice 8 pt that year. It's called hunting, not shopping. Best wishes to you this year!
Agree 100% but I always sit on a bucket and practice too because I have a a few times where rhere was no way I could have stood up to shoot my bow !!! It never hurts to practice practice practice !!!! Cause if a monster walks out u r gonna go on instinct and what you have practiced !!!! Just my .02
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 08-19-2013, 08:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Mississippi
Posts: 269
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I much rather stand up to shoot, but if you need to sit if you can get the rail close to the side of your body you can easily clear the rail with the string and your arm. Thats what is so cool about bow hunting to me, you have to get close but be undetected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 08-19-2013, 09:17 AM
7.3 4 Ever! Nothing else!
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4,169
Thanks: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tblg700 View Post
I much rather stand up to shoot, but if you need to sit if you can get the rail close to the side of your body you can easily clear the rail with the string and your arm. Thats what is so cool about bow hunting to me, you have to get close but be undetected.
Yea, I may just cut the damn thing off! Undetectable.....I bought a ghille suit for this upcoming bow season!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors