Hunting White Tail with a 22-250? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Goin' Hunting! This is for all your hunting stories, plans, questions, etc...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 02:59 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hunting White Tail with a 22-250?

Hey everyone. Next year my niece is turning 12 and will be able to hunt with me. Her father isn't in her life so she looks up to me as the cool uncle that takes her out to do cool/exciting stuff like hunting and fishing. She sat with me this last year a couple of times and she really wants to go hunting when she's of age but the problem is that she's tiny.

I bought her a 7mm-08 a couple years ago thinking it would be a great caliber for her but it's apparent she's not going to be ready for something that size anytime soon. Having said that, I am looking at something a little smaller and am thinking that a 22-250 would be perfect for her but am not sure if it's large enough for white tail. I know of people back home that have hunted with .223 but that's too small IMO.

Anyone have any input?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 04:51 AM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would say a .243 or a .25-06 are the smallest rounds I would feel comfortable hunting deer with. I know people who use .223 but I think that is too small as well. .22-250 is borderline in my book. It could possibly go either way.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 12-15-2012, 05:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Either a .25-06 or a .30-06. Put a Limb Saver butt pad on it. They take a lot of the felt recoil out of the rifle. Even a .30-.30 would work. Good luck and hopefully she'll get one on the ground.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:32 AM
Premium Member

30-06 would scar her for life. Looking into 25-06 and it's intriguing. Thanks for suggestions guys.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:42 AM

I would say 30-30, I've used my marlin 336 lever action since I was 10 and its proven itself as a good whitetail rifle with minimal recoil and a smaller frame.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:45 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I've used my AR-15 and to he honest it's all shot placement, if she's a shooter put her behind a 22-250 or 223. If not I would go with a 243 or 270. I grew up with a model seven in 243 and I always loved that gun.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:13 AM
Hooked on the POWER...

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
22-250 is plenty. My nephew has hunted with one since he was 9. He has killed every deer he pointed it at. As long as she makes a decent shot in the "vital's" area that deer will die. And a .243 is the same. That is what my mom has hunted with her whole hunting career and she has never not killed what she intended too. Either way is a good choice for a youngster. I think it is an awesome thing what you are doing with her. There is no lower scum on the earth than a parent that does not want to be in there child's life. +1 for you buddy!

Not to change the subject, but let me know if your interested in selling the 7mm-08.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:44 AM
Premium Member

^^ Hey man. Thanks much. Her mom is really protective so I make it a point to expose her to as much fun stuff as I can whenever I'm home and she always up for the adventures. She's a real trooper too so taking her with is never a chore. Here's a couple of pics of her shootiong my AR in the summer of 2011 along with her shot group at the zero range. Not back for a 9 year old (at the time).

As far as the 7mm, my girlfriend's dad has been using a lever action 30-30 for decades and has been thinking about upgrading but something always comes up where he doesn't want to spend the money. So I let him borrow the 7mm this year to see if he wanted to buy it (cheap). He shot a 4 point buck with it after missing an 8 pointer so I'm hoping he wants it. Will let you know what he decides.

Last edited by taskforcefreddy; 12-15-2012 at 07:47 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My 5 year old niece has a 22-250 and loves it. It's not to much of a gun, but enough that it will still take stuff down. And a .223 is PLENTY, thousands of hogs and javelinas have lost their life down here to my trusty little .223! Shot placement is king....
Old 12-15-2012, 08:20 AM

Sorry about recommending .30-06 I miss read your post and just had 7mm in my head and that would definitely scare her. .25-06 or .30-.30 would both be good I believe the .25-.06 has a flatter trajectory with longer reach then the .30-.30.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.