Cold Weather Gear?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Goin' Hunting! This is for all your hunting stories, plans, questions, etc...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 11:04 AM
Chug-a-lug!!!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Cold Weather Gear??

It's deer season again and the temps are starting to come down here in Oklahoma. I got a little chilly bow hunting yesterday morning and it was only in the 40's. I absolutely suffer during rifle and muzzleloader season if I am not in a blind with a heater.

I would like to hear what some of you guys in the colder states wear to keep yourself warm while spending hours in the stand not moving during the sub-freezing days of hunting season.

I am considering Under Armour bibs and a jacket but I hate to spend that much money on clothes. Especially if I get them and still freeze. I love to hunt but the freezing temperatures can ruin it for me. I either have to start moving around to get warm or I just head to the house.

What have you got????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2012, 11:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
UA is the way to go...... you can sometimes catch real good deals on UA from their outlet GOOD Luck
Old 10-07-2012, 11:48 AM
Chug-a-lug!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuthbertss View Post
UA is the way to go...... you can sometimes catch real good deals on UA from their outlet GOOD Luck
Online or in an outlet store? I don't think I've ever seen hunting gear at the OKC outlet store.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

online... and mostly i was referring to the under layers
Old 10-07-2012, 11:54 AM
Chug-a-lug!!!

OK, I just looked online. I have some of the BassPro brand under layers that I bought a couple years ago for my elk trip. I like them ok but I really need to find some outer gear.

I have a Columbia wool jacket that a friend got me for my anniversary and it seems pretty warm. I can get the matching bibs for $150. I am considering that. With the base layers and a pair of jeans and the wool I was thinking it should be fairly warm.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:42 PM
Chug-a-lug!!!

Does nobody else hunt when it gets cold?
Old 10-08-2012, 06:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I was always on the move Elk hunting. Usually in the teens=40's. Didnt need anything super fancy. Took about ten minutes at the start of the morning to work up enough heat to not get bothered by the cold.

Hunting in a stand it totally different though. Bring a blanket?
Old 10-08-2012, 06:59 PM

I usually just wear a good thick pair of socks inside an 800mg thinsulate boot that is just a little too big. A good hat that covers my ears, and a good pair of gloves. Other than that, just dress in layers.

If it's going to be too cold, I might break out some of those air-activated hand warmers.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:08 PM

Layers. I wear UA cold gear for my first layer, then a looser long sleeved shirt, t-shirt and whatever jacket suits the hunt. Basically, layers are the key. I usually wear bibs if it's wet. Otherwise, I'll just wear UA tights and some sort of camo pants.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:37 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jimmyv13 Send a message via Yahoo to jimmyv13
It's already been said, but I'll say it again...layer, and stay away from cotton. Cotton absorbs moisture.

A good base layer, moisture wicking material type of stuff. I use UA, but there are other good brands out there. Mid layer should be some fleece. Top layer can be your camo cover. What's nice about the new technology stuff is it's not bulky and you can be warm with thin looking materials. I've been out all day in the teens during muzzleloader season between xmas and the new year, sometimes in a blind and sometimes in a stand. Also, taking care of your feet, hands and head is crucial. If I am bow hunting, I will wear very thin gloves regardless the temp and have those little heat pads in a hand pouch. I wear the typical two sock system on my feet, moisture wicking liner with a thick wool cover and 1000G boots. If your feet get cold, make sure there is some insulation on the bottom of the boot, some cheaper boots have none and the cold gets to your feet that way. For my head, I have a fleece skull cap that does not cover my ears, then I have a mesh type thing that covers my face and allows me to hear very well. If I get cold, I have a looser fitting fleece cover that covers my head, neck and face. I don't like to wear it all that often because it inhibits my hearing, but it's definitely WARM.

Unzip as much as you can as you walk to your spot. All that heat needs to go somewhere and if you keep it next to your body, you'll sweat and be cold in an hour. I walk out with no gloves and every zipper I have opened all the way. I'll close zippers as I cool down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.