any good bow hunters. i need some advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Goin' Hunting! This is for all your hunting stories, plans, questions, etc...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 04:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
any good bow hunters. i need some advice

im just gettin into deer hunting now, as a senior in high school, and im lookin at buyin a bow real soon, i shot my buddys newer hoyt, my buddys pse supershort, and my buddys newer mathews, and i gotta say the mathews was the smoothest, i dont know the model but its real nice. but my other buddy wants to sell me the supershort with a ****load of arrows, the draw length adjusted to my size, the peep sight, 4 pin sight, the quiver and a case for like 400 bucks. theyre real big into huntin so i know he wouldnt screw me on it, its a nice bow and it hits real hard, just wonderin if anyone shoots the supershort and if theyd reccommend it, if not i was lookin at a diamond version of the bowtech destroyer. any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2012, 09:59 PM

Get a Mathews and don't look back. Thats what my Dad and I shoot and won't ever shoot anything else. But, everyone has their own opinions like trucks I like the best, thats why I drive a Ford and shoot a Mathews.

"Catch us if you can"
Old 02-15-2012, 12:05 AM

Not a mathews fan here. Turns out i like PSE!!
They are all real good bows. Im not familar with the supershort though.
For 400 bones you are getting quite a bit. How many shots has he ran through it? Roughly
You might be looking at a string change which is normally about 100 bucks. If you
go with that bow, have a new string put on when getting adjusted for you.

Mathews bows are overpriced IMHO. Hoyt is up there too and are the heaviest.
These are my opinions and im not bashing, just what i think.

Do the 400 deal on the PSE!!!
When i bought my PSE firestorm lite in 2006 i had 630 bucks in getting everything on it and a dozen arrows.
Are you getting a release??? Probably a good idea also.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:28 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I've always shot a matthews and never regret buyin it. I could out do my brother-in-laws newer pse but could have just been the set ups. The pse sounds like a good deal though so if the bow fits i'd go for it
Old 02-25-2012, 07:48 PM

Another PSE fan here. I have a 2010 PSE Bow Madness XS and wouldn't trade for another brand. My buddy picked up a Z7 this year from Mathews because every dang show on the outdoor channel boasts them. He agrees that my bow draws smoother than his. His bow is nice but for the price, I feel I like my lower mid line bow better than his heavier expensive bow.

Besides, if you're getting the bow setup for you for that price, do it. Anyone can take the most expensive and best item out there and do nothing but kill hay bales or foam targets. I got 3 deer this year with my bow and my buddy didn't get one with a bo that cost twice as much.

Get the PSE for now if it shoots well for you and upgrade when you know more about them. You may want a whole different brand and style of bow.

Good luck and stay safe. There no greater rush or challenge than successfully drawing on a deer that you can hear breathing or chewing right in front of you.

Dave
Old 02-25-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreed View Post
Good luck and stay safe. There no greater rush or challenge than successfully drawing on a deer that you can hear breathing or chewing right in front of you.

Dave
FOR SURE!!!
Nothin like feelin your heart pounding through your chest! Lol
Love it!!!!
Old 02-25-2012, 08:43 PM

i'm a hoyt/reflex fan all the way, but to be honost mathews does have some nice bows out right now, but i would say to take the deal for 400, seems like a very reasonable price if it's in good condition. just another tip is try to focus on how loud they are when shooting. that will really come into play.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreed View Post
Another PSE fan here. I have a 2010 PSE Bow Madness XS and wouldn't trade for another brand. My buddy picked up a Z7 this year from Mathews because every dang show on the outdoor channel boasts them. He agrees that my bow draws smoother than his. His bow is nice but for the price, I feel I like my lower mid line bow better than his heavier expensive bow.

Besides, if you're getting the bow setup for you for that price, do it. Anyone can take the most expensive and best item out there and do nothing but kill hay bales or foam targets. I got 3 deer this year with my bow and my buddy didn't get one with a bo that cost twice as much.

Get the PSE for now if it shoots well for you and upgrade when you know more about them. You may want a whole different brand and style of bow.

Dave
So your measuring how good your bow is because you shot 3 deer? So my bow must be better since I shot a 331" bull elk on public land? I'm sorry if that's not what your saying but that was a pretty weird example. All three of the major brands are good and you can't measure a bow by if you kill something with it as long as your consistent and comfortable with it that's all that matters. When bull fever sets in it doesn't matter how good your now is.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 03-19-2012, 12:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

im a hoyt fan, i shoot a maxxiss and just got a new rampage, i like hoyt becase they have a reputation for being tough bows.. but hell with todays bows you cant go wrong. my first bow was a browning mist and i shot my biggest muley with it and my first bull elk with it. the bow wasnt the fasted but it shure was the heavyest dam thing to hall around but it did the job. shot em all and get what feels best for you.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:20 AM

No. The point was, that the more you pay doesn't necessarily mean the bow is better. I have a lower priced bow and it did fine. I've seen guys get into duck hunting and go all out on a Benelli for their first gun and hit nothing. A few of us went and got Mossberg 500's for $260 at Walmart and are slaying them.

The overall idea is, don't spend more than you have to at first and go all out when you have the hang of it. Personal skill has more to do with the hunt than the brand or model of equipment you use. The bows should be bought for comfort, not the fastest.

My 3 deer was an example of a lower end unit still getting the job done....and a little bragging but hey.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.