Any Honker or Duck hunters? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Goin' Hunting! This is for all your hunting stories, plans, questions, etc...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2010, 10:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Any Honker or Duck hunters?

Whos all out for the waterfowl? Lets see some pics of your hunts, spreads and limits! Anything and everything about waterfowlin goes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2010, 02:20 PM
Premium Member

I just booked my first ever Goose Droppin for november. Looks like a blast. I know nothing about it, but finance my son for Teal every year.

We'll see what happens. I need a goose gun. Don't want to drop a bundle, cuz I own 2 12's but need one for magnums. I'm thinking 870, maybe. I'm trying to gear down to a 28 for dove and quail. To hell with getting sheet kicked out of me all day by a 12, when a 28 works.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Man ive ruined my life chasin waterfowl!, starting about thanksgiving i spend my mornings in a blind with my lab whacking waterfowl, and the afternoons with my GSP chasin quail. dont get out much in the early season cause i dont like to sweat in my waders but once it gets cold all bets are off.
Jim
Old 10-12-2010, 02:53 PM
Premium Member

Well, I can't say it never gets cold down in S. Tx, because I'm only 51, and it may have been cold before that. But down here in the Mustang Desert, we don't see many waterfowl. I'm headed east to Eagle Lake near Houston.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchip View Post
I just booked my first ever Goose Droppin for november. Looks like a blast. I know nothing about it, but finance my son for Teal every year.

We'll see what happens. I need a goose gun. Don't want to drop a bundle, cuz I own 2 12's but need one for magnums. I'm thinking 870, maybe. I'm trying to gear down to a 28 for dove and quail. To hell with getting sheet kicked out of me all day by a 12, when a 28 works.
I would look into the new Remington 887 Nitromag. i picked one up this spring and love it! Light can shoot 3.5" and doesnt kick like you would think it would.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:06 AM

In Central Ks season will open on the 30th once we get or deer hunting done that's about all we do every weekend. last year i shot 100 ducks which is average. But I only got 2 geese last year. We just couldn't get them to work us. But i hope i can get my deer before the 30th so i can waterfowl hunt all season this year.

For a new gun you can't beat a Benelli Nova. Never had a bit of trouble with mine but they are somewhat comparable to an 870. 870 and novas are kind of like fords and Chevys
Old 10-13-2010, 10:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to southern7.3
Cant wait till season opens next month. I go once or twice early and then really tear it up when it gets cold
Old 10-13-2010, 10:38 AM
Premium Member

countin down the days here in ky. Been lookin at migration maps everyday gettin antsy. im ready to whack'em and stack'em!!!
Old 10-16-2010, 04:12 PM

Goose and duck season opened today here in Ohio. But its kinda confusing cause we have 3 goose seasons, and 2 duck seasons. Early goose was Sept. 1-15, but i never got out once. Both duck and goose opened today, and then duck ends on the 31st and goose goes into next month. Then they open back up in early December.

So last night i spent the night at my buddies house, and we woke up at 5:30 and went huntin. I had 2 dozen full body goose decoys, he had about 20 goose, and then a dozen geese. Since he's 15, and i'm 16 we figured we should have an adult so the law doesn't get pissy, so his brother went, who is 19. Between us kids we had a pretty good lookin spread.

About a half hour after sun rise i see a line of geese heading straight for us. They were still kinda far off and high, but we started calling and i started flagging some. Well apparently there was a couple of guys hunting a pond down the road, and they sky busted the geese. I mean they were 80-100 yards up, i never saw a feather or anything come off them. Well of course they took off, so we lost them

A little bit later, the same thing happens. Except this time they came our way after they got sky busted, but something in our area flared them. Right after that about 30 ducks game in, got right to the edge of the field we were in, and banked hard and took off. We weren't even moving or nothing, so we got out and looked at our spread some more.

We still cannot figure out what was wrong with our spread, but there was something that they just weren't liking. But we still have the rest of the season to figure it out.

And i shoot a Remington 11-87 Super Mag 3-1/2, in break-up camo. Its a fun little gun.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:11 PM

man it happens like that sometimes.. tough break, but its early, when it gets cold and muddy alot of those guys stay home and thats when things really heat up..... i dont even dust off my goose decoys till after christmas.
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.