need help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Goin' Hunting! This is for all your hunting stories, plans, questions, etc...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2010, 05:33 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
need help

well guys I finally got to go spotlighting for anything that moved I loved it.I wish I could have started when I was younger but we never had a lease and didn't no anyone with land but I made friends with a guy who has a lot of land and we used his 22 marlin rifle and shot up some animals. I have bird hunted alot because that's what my dad taught us to do so I know about that stuff but I don't know much about the guns and things you need to hunt game like hogs and bigger game such as deer. This experience made me want to get a lease for next year and start getting everything ill need to become a good game hunter.

So if anyone can help me out with links for guns and accessories and any tips that you yourself use (anything and every bit of info would be great).

one gun I know I want is a .22 because that took down the small game we shot at pretty good but not sure which one to get and what accessories to add to it.

also I see alot of stuff on here about an AR-15 whats the down low on this gun

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2010, 06:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Try a varmint special .223 for spotlight hunting. Those are pretty fun.

A .270 rifle would be excellent for deer and hogs. The greatest all around rifle is of course the 30-06, which are plentiful when it comes to the rifles and ammo.

I have a 30-30 Marlin lever action that I love to shoot. I just started shooting it again and I forgot how fun it was. It's got excellent range and accuracy. They are pretty cheap and I can shoot mine all day long and never hurt my shoulder.

If you don't know much about guns and hunting, then you really should take a hunter safety class. It really does help. Not just on safety aspects, but good things to do while hunting too (tips, tricks, etc)
Old 06-26-2010, 06:14 PM

Thank You I just look at the .223 and it looks pretty cool and what kind of stuff can you add to?

and I took a hunters safety class and I know how to use a gun I just don't know how to hunt for deer and such or what I need to do it.

Thank You for the info
Old 06-26-2010, 08:35 PM

Watch a lot of hunting videos and read hunting magazines. Other than having someone take you hunting and showing you the ropes they are the next best thing. When you get a rifle, shoot it as much as you can to get use to it and it will make you a better shooter. Safety should always be your #1 priority. Try to have someone go with you when you go hunting and let someone know where you are going to be. A clean kill is always best and pay attention to the wind and your scent. Scent is the number one reason most hunts are not successful. I don't know what you know and what you don't know. I love hunting and would do it for a living if I could. Am always glad to help.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:56 PM

ya tomorrow im going to buy some books and magazines so I can try to learn and be up to date on everything.My buddy will be taking me out alot and showing me what all to do im just trying to get tips and help on what gear and everything in between.

Thanks for the tips
Old 06-26-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conman3300 View Post
Thank You I just look at the .223 and it looks pretty cool and what kind of stuff can you add to?

and I took a hunters safety class and I know how to use a gun I just don't know how to hunt for deer and such or what I need to do it.

Thank You for the info
There's a lot of nightvision scopes, regular scopes with spotlight attachments, etc stuff for night hunting available for them.
If you find one that takes a removable magazine, there are higher capacity magazines available. A bipod would be nice to add to any bolt action or semi auto hunting rifle as well.

AR-15s definitely win with customizability but some states do not allow ANY hunting with assault weapons, so I would check your state's regulations first. But for general target practice and pinging, an AR-15 is pretty fun. Although for the price of one oftentimes, you can pick up 2 or 3 rifles.

And yeah, just pick up some hunting books or subscribe to some magazines. There's plenty of instructional videos out there as well. Just set aside a day for some researching and learning!

I myself hunt big game with a Remington Model 700 .308 as I hunt elk and deer. Elk take a little more than a .270 to bring down, otherwise I would have purchased a left-hand bolt action .270 for myself back a few years ago. Which reminds me, if you shoot left-handed, be prepared to pay a few hundred dollars more on bolt-action rifles
Old 06-27-2010, 01:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Where you are hunting might make a difference on what cartridge you choose to hunt with. I hunt in the TX hill country and the deer aren't that large. I started with a 243 and have taken a fair share of deer and hogs. but as I started to take them form longer distances I went with larger calibers and cartridges.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:01 PM

Oh yeah, learn the differences in grain count. For example, a 100 grain 30-30 cartridge probably won't bring down a deer quickly, whereas a 150 grain or 170 grain will. Larger the grain count = more energy, more velocity, more penetration. Although there are some instances when grain count doesn't matter. And each cartridge has different grain counts that work for different animals. My 120 grain .308 cartridges will bring down an elk, for example.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:01 PM

thanks guys for the responses and help I think ill be going with a .223 for spotlighting and a .270 for regular hunting now I just got find out which ones in that type im going to get.

anyone know any good websites for guns and stuff ill be needing?

Thank for the help
Old 06-27-2010, 06:07 PM

I was looking at this site
GunsAmerica - Guns - Guns For Sale Classifieds & Auctions B"H - Guns For Sale & Gun Auctions B"H

You could try a 30-06. Most of 'em kick like a son of a b****, but they're deadly against most large animals.

But a .270 is a great value gun as you never seem to overpay for them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.