Attn: Elk Hunters - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Goin' Hunting! This is for all your hunting stories, plans, questions, etc...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 07:03 AM
Chug-a-lug!!!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Attn: Elk Hunters

It looks like I am going to get to go elk hunting this year for the very first time. My concern right now is that I will probably be going during the 2nd rifle season in Colorado and the full moon is the at the very beginning of the season. Do any of you have thoughts or opinions concerning hunting elk during the full moon? I know whitetail are mosly nocturnal during the full moon with the new moon being more suited for daytime activity.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2010, 07:05 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Good luck on the Hunt Jesse
Old 03-09-2010, 07:28 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I'm n professional, but I have heard that Elk will do the same thing when it comes to moon light . Hope for stormy skies

Where abouts are you hunting Jesse?
Old 03-09-2010, 07:30 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Better start gettin in shape now fatazz....

Just kidding man
Old 03-09-2010, 07:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Good Luck

Congratulations on having the opportunity to go elk hunting. I've been a few times and it is great. This past year we went to Colorado and happened to hit the full moon and it was not good. Just like deer they were out all night and under cover well before it got light out. This doesn't mean you will have the same outcome but we felt it really hurt our chances and vowed to make sure we check next time to make sure the season doesn't fall on the full moon. I'm sure the crunchy snow didn't help either!! Good luck. By the way, are you doing a guided hunt or going at it on your own?
Old 03-09-2010, 08:11 AM

Biggest concern about Elk hunting is elavation, the big scary ones do tend to be more nocternal, but success is knowing or going with someone who knows what elavation they will be at for any given circumstance i.e. temp, time of year, and storm patterns.
But elk hunting in Colorado the first time is like bow hunting the first time, shoot the first legal animal you see
Buy the way the best deal on tags is an online either (bull/cow) tag. Get them early the zones fill up fast.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:50 AM
Chug-a-lug!!!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by stroken04 View Post
Good luck on the Hunt Jesse
Thanks Wes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006PSDSD View Post
I'm n professional, but I have heard that Elk will do the same thing when it comes to moon light . Hope for stormy skies

Where abouts are you hunting Jesse?
I think it's called the San Juan Nat'l Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Henry View Post
Better start gettin in shape now fatazz....

Just kidding man
I know I'm going to start going to the football field/track and jogging and running bleachers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightideaselectric View Post
Congratulations on having the opportunity to go elk hunting. I've been a few times and it is great. This past year we went to Colorado and happened to hit the full moon and it was not good. Just like deer they were out all night and under cover well before it got light out. This doesn't mean you will have the same outcome but we felt it really hurt our chances and vowed to make sure we check next time to make sure the season doesn't fall on the full moon. I'm sure the crunchy snow didn't help either!! Good luck. By the way, are you doing a guided hunt or going at it on your own?
It's not guided it's just an outfitted drop camp. The guys I'm going with have been there before though.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:04 AM

Those are some rough mountains from what I've heard, but there ARE Elk. You're gonna have to work to get them out , but the freezer full of ELk will be the payoff

Good luck
Old 03-09-2010, 11:02 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006PSDSD View Post
Those are some rough mountains from what I've heard, but there ARE Elk. You're gonna have to work to get them out , but the freezer full of ELk will be the payoff

Good luck
I had a buddy who played soccer all the time and "thought" he was in great shape. He went on a guided hunt and thought he was going to die before he got out of there after the 4th day. They had horses but not for riding, those were for carrying the gear. He was young and played sports and that was not enough training for an elk hunt.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Henry View Post
I had a buddy who played soccer all the time and "thought" he was in great shape. He went on a guided hunt and thought he was going to die before he got out of there after the 4th day. They had horses but not for riding, those were for carrying the gear. He was young and played sports and that was not enough training for an elk hunt.
Yeah, this elevation will kick your AZZ! I used to go to LA every summer to visit my mom when she lived there, and I'll tell you, I could run like Forrest freaking Gump. Come back here, and that wind is gone FAST (this when I was a lot younger, I don't run now )

My suggestion for you Jesse, come here a couple days before your hunt, and acclimate your body and lungs to the lack of oxygen here, preferably in the area where you're gonna hunt. Football player spend at least a few days here practicing before a game if they are from the lower elevation states , and they still have to suck the oxygen down on the sidelines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.