Shot my first big game animals! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Goin' Hunting! This is for all your hunting stories, plans, questions, etc...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2009, 08:54 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Talking Shot my first big game animals!

Went to NE this past weekend, and finally got to shoot a big game animal . I hunted Elk for 7 years and never saw one! I'll admit I didn't hunt too hard and that's probably the reason for that . Well my buddy asked if I wanted to go with him and a bunch of other guys to NE for a Whitetail hunt and I said hell yes! Both of mine were young Deer, but its hard to get the binocs out to see how big they were, and still have a chance to shoot, I knew they were legal so I shot. I was using my 30-30 iron with sights so that didn't make it any easier to check size

We shot 14 Deer between 6 of us. I shot two of them. They have a huge problem with Whitetail Deer up there and wanted them thinned out, so we did . Some of the pics suck, they were all taken with my cell, but three of them turned out bigger and more visible than the other two

My buddies Buck he shot opening morning. His shot broke the silence first!

My first Deer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2009, 08:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
congrats bud.... this is something i have always wanted to do
Old 11-17-2009, 09:02 AM
What u talkin bout willis

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to REDPOWERSMOKER Send a message via Yahoo to REDPOWERSMOKER
good job deer hunting is fun and it put good kibble on the table
Old 11-17-2009, 09:19 AM

You should give it a try Raul, it was a blast. I was actually worrying if I would even be able to pullthe trigger, or that I'd feel bad after I did, but that was a distant memory after I did

Like I said, I was disappointed with the size of the Deer I shot, but "it will be good eating" is all my friends told me . The sad thing is that out of three deer I'm having proessed (my friend gave me one of his 5), I had a total of 125 pounds on the hook, bones and all, no head . There's always next year
Old 11-17-2009, 09:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The Whitetails are so bad back home the farmers get nuisance permits to shoot whatever they can. My uncle hooks up with his friend and takes out 50-60 of them. Permits says you're supposed to bury the bodies whole. Yeah right! He has so much deer meat, him and my old man haven't bought beef in 8+ years.

2006PSDSD- Where did you hunt?
Old 11-17-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam-Arc View Post
2006PSDSD- Where did you hunt?
Nebraska........
Old 11-17-2009, 09:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006PSDSD View Post
You should give it a try Raul, it was a blast. I was actually worrying if I would even be able to pullthe trigger, or that I'd feel bad after I did, but that was a distant memory after I did

Like I said, I was disappointed with the size of the Deer I shot, but "it will be good eating" is all my friends told me . The sad thing is that out of three deer I'm having proessed (my friend gave me one of his 5), I had a total of 125 pounds on the hook, bones and all, no head . There's always next year
ill have to travel pretty far from SoCal to shoot deer legally hahaha.... once i move the heck out of cali im def going to do a lil hunting... i too fell like i might feel bad afterwards... but im sure that will fade
Old 11-17-2009, 10:02 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul@Stealth Automotive View Post
ill have to travel pretty far from SoCal to shoot deer legally hahaha.... once i move the heck out of cali im def going to do a lil hunting... i too fell like i might feel bad afterwards... but im sure that will fade
You really won't, you will feel like you want to do it again. A bad kill will make you feel sorry for it so always practice shooting and keep your gun sighted in so you don't end up gut shooting one.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006PSDSD View Post
Nebraska........
Sounds like you had a good time. Whitetail are good eatin but don't over cook the meat.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul@Stealth Automotive View Post
Look into tag prices in AZ, you might be surprised. I guess the hardest thing is optaining a gun in CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Henry View Post
You really won't, you will feel like you want to do it again. A bad kill will make you feel sorry for it so always practice shooting and keep your gun sighted in so you don't end up gut shooting one.
True, I found that out this weekend . I was shooting with open sights, and did gut shoot one. Lucky for me she gave me another chance to finish the job not too far from the first shot. Practice makes perfect. I'll be buying a scope for it now though. I don't like dirty shots like that, and they're easier to do with open sights IMO

I'm also going to get me a 338 Marlin Express rifle some time this spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam-Arc View Post
Sounds like you had a good time. Whitetail are good eatin but don't over cook the meat.
Rare is what I've been told. I can't wait to eat some of my quarry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.