Need a little diesel help in Gwinnett - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Georgia Members Georgia Powerstroke.org Members Forum

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 07:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need a little diesel help in Gwinnett

Anyone willing to help me diagnose what's wrong with my 6.0?
It seems electrical.

Background on me:
I design/install/support automotive controls for a living... but for GAS motors. Diesel is a new & foreign game for me.

Truck is sitting at our shop in Suwanee right now. Runs like a bat outta hell on 8 cylinders, or it runs on 6 cylinders and can't get out of its own way, based on its own whimsy. I have an EDGE Insight CTS, and troubelshooting tools like scope and DMM, but not specific diesel tools.

Many things have been suggested, but I'd like to attempt to properly diagnose instead of just throwing parts at it.

One possibility seems to be a logic failure in the FICM. If someone had a FICM I could test in my truck, or test my FICM in your truck, that would be pretty awesome.

Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2013, 11:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I can't help with this one, hopefully someone will try to help you this evening. You could also post this in the talking soot with the gpda thread and maybe one of those mechanically inclined guys will chime in. Good luck and welcome to the org!
Old 04-26-2013, 05:24 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Have you used the Edge CTS to check your FICM voltage? You can also take the small plate on top of the FICM off and hook a voltage reader to it. Check the voltage w/ the key in the "on" position, check during start up, and then see where it goes during idle. Your FICM should be 47-48v if it's a healthy one.

How does the start act during cold starts? Any white/grayish smoke coming out of the tailpipe during a cold start? How does it idle once warmed up? Does it "chug" during warm up?
Old 05-01-2013, 06:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Sorry for the late reply. 2 weeks in a row of 70+ hours work.

Got a new FICM and injector harness. Replacing FICM made no real change. Both FICMs show 47-48V on the CTS.

Pulled the old harness. Half the injector retention clips were missing. Truck got injectors a few months ago at a diesel shop in Gainesville. The ground wire that attaches to the valve cover stud had a standard blue ring terminal spliced on (not that it's a problem so much as it shows lack of attention to detail as they must have pulled the original terminal off when doing the injectors). #6 injector had a bent pin on the injector pigtail. Coincidentally, I had a #6 injector low code.

Considered weatherpacking the injector to the new injector harness, but I didn't want to cut a brand new harness. Just going to replace the injector. Have it on order for tomorrow.
Installing tomorrow afternoon at the shop in Suwanee if anyone wants to supervise. Disassembly is mostly complete already--Valve cover bolts out, but oil rail is still installed. Going to stop by the Northern Tool to hopefully pick up a long torx set.

Installed the blue spring today since it was easy with the charge tube already out.

Suspected an exhaust leak due to smell at idle. Couldn't hear or find it. Wasn't the y-pipe bellows. With the degas bottle out of the way, there is an obvious leak visible at the up pipe to turbine v-band. Same shop that did the injectors also installed a new turbo. Previous owner paid $3800 for the work.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Goose View Post
I can't help with this one, hopefully someone will try to help you this evening. You could also post this in the talking soot with the gpda thread and maybe one of those mechanically inclined guys will chime in. Good luck and welcome to the org!
Thanks man. Looks like we're neighbors -- I'm at Hamilton Mill.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:04 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Dang dude. What shop did this "work" on the truck??? Sounds like they just threw chit together and called it a day.

Let us know how it pans out and good luck to you sir!
Old 05-07-2013, 07:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

PO had work done at Flores Diesel in Gainesville.

I got the injector, but haven't had time to install it yet.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:42 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Let me know if you need any tips or advise. I'll do what I can by text/phone/forum.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 05-08-2013, 06:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks, very kind offer.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargar View Post
2006 F-250 King Ranch FX4 CCSB. Zoodad Mod, Insight CTS, Fog Light Mod, Upfitters, High Idle Mod, Blue Spring Mod, NCHornet CCV Mod, 190 Amp DC Power Alternator, Dieselsite Coolant Filter, Harpoon Mod, Bilstein 5100s, FICM tuned by Power Hungry Performance, Out of CA$H Mod.1010 lb-ft and 446 horsepower on the PHP DYNO 5/12/12 Hey, it was a perfect day, don't expect me to do it again! First in the GPDA to break 1000 lb/ft of torque!!!
DUDE. Do you have a build thread somewhere?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.