Pick y'all's brain - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Georgia Members Georgia Powerstroke.org Members Forum

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 10:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Pick y'all's brain

I did my EGR delete, oil cooler swap, coolant system flush, etc.. in mid May and then in late June I noticed I had a slight coolant leak. I've tried to find it several times to no avail. I always find the puddles on the passenger side right around the bellhousing. There's always a small puddle on top of the motor, down in the valley. I've been on top and underneith with the truck running, not running, hot (190*), and cool. I can't find it anywhere. I'm guessing it only leaks under load. Several weeks ago I cranked my truck up and oil shot out of the exhaust. It's done that several times since then. About a week ago I noticed oil puddling up underneith the truck on both sides right around the bellhousing. I can't find any oil on top of the motor, but it's all over the back side of the motor. My deltas are still good, oil pressure looks good, etc.. Any ideas on what I should look for or what it might be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 11:13 AM

My oil leak was showing at the same place as yours and it turned out to be a split in the ic boot, yes the oil vapors do build up that much. Have you tried to retighten the hose on the egr delete? Hopefully thats all it is.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:31 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Oil out the exhaust just about has to be a turbo puking oil. I'd like to see exactly where the oil is coming out at. I've had a turbo dripping oil at the headpipe connection at the back of the turbo before.

The coolant leak just about has to be the EGR hose under the intake. When I delete I always upgrade to the Ford blue EGR hose instead of the hose and 2 clamps that come with most delete kits. The hose is horribly expensive at $40 or so but it doesn't drip.

Sorry I found this a month too late.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Goose View Post
My oil leak was showing at the same place as yours and it turned out to be a split in the ic boot, yes the oil vapors do build up that much. Have you tried to retighten the hose on the egr delete? Hopefully thats all it is.
What is the IC boot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargar View Post
Oil out the exhaust just about has to be a turbo puking oil. I'd like to see exactly where the oil is coming out at. I've had a turbo dripping oil at the headpipe connection at the back of the turbo before.

The coolant leak just about has to be the EGR hose under the intake. When I delete I always upgrade to the Ford blue EGR hose instead of the hose and 2 clamps that come with most delete kits. The hose is horribly expensive at $40 or so but it doesn't drip.

Sorry I found this a month too late.
You're not too late. I haven't done anything about it. The coolant leak seems to have stopped since it got cold. I'm not sure if it has shot out of the exhaust since I posted this because I got pissed about staining my drive way an started parking the truck so the pipe faced the yard. I will be putting on my new 4" exhaust in a week or two, so I'll tighten the EGR hose while in in there. The turbo puking oil wouldn't be a problem with the actual turbo would it? I'm planning a MTW turbo next month, so I'd like to get it figured out by then.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:01 AM
Premium Member

The IC boot is a goofy term for the silicone hoses that connect the turbo to the InterCooler tubing and the tubing to the intercooler. Boost can and will push oil through them as they start to break down. Why is it a boot? I don't know.

Oil out the back of the turbo would indeed be an internal turbo problem. If you send it to Adrian as a core just let him know about it so he can take care of it.

You can attempt to secure the clamps on the EGR hose or just break down and get the Ford part, it can be installed without removing the intake.

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 01-06-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargar View Post
The IC boot is a goofy term for the silicone hoses that connect the turbo to the InterCooler tubing and the tubing to the intercooler. Boost can and will push oil through them as they start to break down. Why is it a boot? I don't know.

Oil out the back of the turbo would indeed be an internal turbo problem. If you send it to Adrian as a core just let him know about it so he can take care of it.

You can attempt to secure the clamps on the EGR hose or just break down and get the Ford part, it can be installed without removing the intake.

There is a bunch of oil all over the boot coming off the front of turbo connected to the pipe going down on the passenger's side. I've been wondering about that. I will try and tighten the hose before I buy something that I might not need. I'll start putting a tarp out beneath the exhaust to see if its still spraying.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:16 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The oil problem seems to be the turbo as Michael had stated. On the hose part, I'm on the fence about that b/c I had a Ford blue hose w/ the o-rings on the truck and it literally split open and spewed coolant everywhere. I went with the hose & clamps out of a delete kit and it's doing fine.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:30 AM

So this is not normal?
Attached Thumbnails
Pick y'all's brain-image.jpg  
Old 01-19-2013, 04:08 AM
Premium Member

Re: Pick y'all's brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6literdiesel View Post
So this is not normal?
Pretty much, looks like it is new boot time when funds allow. Research CCV mod too.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:30 AM

Just ordered a complete set of Riff Raff boots and clamps. Trying to touch base with NCHornet to pick up one of this CCV mods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.