Bow hunters please enter - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Georgia Members Georgia Powerstroke.org Members Forum

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 02:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bow hunters please enter

I'm getting more and more into bow hunting and I picked up a new to me compound bow. I'm wanting to modify/tweak it to be mine and fit me and my needs better. Are there any shops in N. Ga that y'all would recommend? Even better would be any tips or reading material y'all can recommend so that I can learn to understand and do it myself. Any ideas on that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2012, 03:01 AM

Not sure of any shops in north ga, but there are as few down my way. What kind did you get and what all came with it?
Old 07-16-2012, 04:12 AM

Outdoor depot in gainesville has some really good bow techs.

Sent from my MB855 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 07-16-2012, 04:15 AM

I got rid of my compound last year for a crossbow due to an old shoulder injury. I believe 400 jewelry and loan pawn shop has a few good ones too.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wright337 View Post
Not sure of any shops in north ga, but there are as few down my way. What kind did you get and what all came with it?
It's a Golden Eagle. I got the bow, hard case, 10 broad head arrows, 10 target arrows, finger guards, and some misc. things. From my research it's not the best bow, but I got it for free so I'm going to make the best of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01LARIAT7.3 View Post
Outdoor depot in gainesville has some really good bow techs.

I've seen that place and always wanted to go inside.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:55 PM

Well, You cant beat the price.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:34 PM

Read idiot proof archery by Bernie pellerite. Buy a good release ($35 one will work but you get what you pay for) most of all PRACTICE! And practice good form and don't shoot when things aren't going right. That teaches bad habits! The most important thing is have fun doing it. If you don't enjoy it find another sport! I am a staff shooter for pse and have one more shoots than I can count, but none of that means squat unless your having fun doing it. If you have any questions feel free to pm me. If I can't answer them I know someone that can. As far as modding the bow itself, a good sight is a must. Don't need anything fancy just something that will hold adjustment, metal parts are preferred over plastic on the sights. A good rest is also a must, drop aways are nice and will provide the best arrow flight. Again metal parts! Make sure your arrows are the right Ones for your bow. This is crucial! A good quality string helps but is not a must. Winners choice, America's best and buck nasty are some examples of good strings. When it boils down to it the bow can be the baddest most expensive one there is an it won't do you any good unless you can shoot it. It's not the bow it's the shooter. I have seen guys with dinosaur compounds from the 80s that can outshoot some of the best names in the scene. Because they just shoot. They don't expect the equipment to do it for them. Have fun and happy hunting! This sport is addicting. Probably more so than diesel motor sports!
Old 07-16-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skooter View Post
Read idiot proof archery by Bernie pellerite. Buy a good release ($35 one will work but you get what you pay for) most of all PRACTICE! And practice good form and don't shoot when things aren't going right. That teaches bad habits! The most important thing is have fun doing it. If you don't enjoy it find another sport! I am a staff shooter for pse and have one more shoots than I can count, but none of that means squat unless your having fun doing it. If you have any questions feel free to pm me. If I can't answer them I know someone that can. As far as modding the bow itself, a good sight is a must. Don't need anything fancy just something that will hold adjustment, metal parts are preferred over plastic on the sights. A good rest is also a must, drop aways are nice and will provide the best arrow flight. Again metal parts! Make sure your arrows are the right Ones for your bow. This is crucial! A good quality string helps but is not a must. Winners choice, America's best and buck nasty are some examples of good strings. When it boils down to it the bow can be the baddest most expensive one there is an it won't do you any good unless you can shoot it. It's not the bow it's the shooter. I have seen guys with dinosaur compounds from the 80s that can outshoot some of the best names in the scene. Because they just shoot. They don't expect the equipment to do it for them. Have fun and happy hunting! This sport is addicting. Probably more so than diesel motor sports!

Definately agree practice practice practice. I hunted with a old PSE Thunderflight that I bought used when I was 15 until last year. If it wasn't for the shoulder bothering me to keep proper form at full draw I would still be using it.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:13 PM

Try a newer bow with 80% let off. Should ease the shoulder bothering you from using correct form. I shoot all my bows at 65% let off because the more weight your holding the more stable you are. I know it don't make a lot of sense but it's the same concept in target rifles. Think of it this way, if you hang a wiffle ball from a string in the wind it will blow around all over the place. Then hang a bowling ball from the same string, it ain't gonna move. However with the stabilizer weighted correctly and PROPER draw length an 80% Let off bow can be just as stable if you learn how to use it.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:34 PM

I picked up a steal on a new Horton brotherhood last year for 150.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.