Questions from the FNG... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Georgia Members Georgia Powerstroke.org Members Forum

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2012, 07:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Questions from the FNG...

Alright guys/gals, Im trying to put together a quick order of a few components, so that they are at the house when I get stateside. Im looking at intake systems (i.e. cold air intakes) for my 04 6.0L Excursion.

1. Any feedback on an S&B system?

2. Any pros/cons on dry filters & cleanable filters?

I'm sure someone will want to yell at me for the newbie questions, no worries I got my big boy pants on.

Thanks in advance...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2012, 10:44 AM

I'm not quite sure of the deal but I've seen several references to a K&N intake that is Super Diesel is looking to give away.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:09 AM

S&B filters are great K&N filters are a no no for turbo diesels, as are any of the oiled filters
I'm running an aFe stage 2 on my 6.4 with dry filter and love it

As far as an intake on a 6.0, it almost isn't needed until you break BIG power. The stock air filtration setup on a 6.0 will support 500 or so rwhp plus it filters really well.

Best things I can recommend for a 6.0 is a good straight pipe exhaust (4") coolant filtration, delete the EGR or go with a bulletproof setup, SCT tuning, and the blue spring fuel pressure upgrade.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:09 PM
Real Men of Genius

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6literdiesel View Post
I'm not quite sure of the deal but I've seen several references to a K&N intake that is Super Diesel is looking to give away.
Haha, the K&N intake is really a running joke ever since the first G2G back in last October. My turbo went bad and I blamed the K&N intake for it (it literally was being pulled apart and being sucked into the turbo). I threw that thing away a long time ago, I wouldn't give that to my worst enemy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_PSD_Erik View Post
S&B filters are great K&N filters are a no no for turbo diesels, as are any of the oiled filters
I'm running an aFe stage 2 on my 6.4 with dry filter and love it

As far as an intake on a 6.0, it almost isn't needed until you break BIG power. The stock air filtration setup on a 6.0 will support 500 or so rwhp plus it filters really well.

Best things I can recommend for a 6.0 is a good straight pipe exhaust (4") coolant filtration, delete the EGR or go with a bulletproof setup, SCT tuning, and the blue spring fuel pressure upgrade.
Totally not true, we proved this at the last Dyno Day at PHP. The stock intake is great for filtration, but if you want power - an aftermarket intake will net you 20 more RWHP if you have a tune on the truck. We dynoed it, we saw it happen.

Anyway, Patrick - a few guys in our group are running the S&B intakes and love them. I run the aFe Intake and love it. Either one, you'll be happy. I also have an oiled filter, no problems here.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:28 PM

I have the AFE stage II with a dry filter and really like it. It was on the truck when I bought it though. It's an expensive kit, but I think it does a good job.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Diesel View Post
Haha, the K&N intake is really a running joke ever since the first G2G back in last October. My turbo went bad and I blamed the K&N intake for it (it literally was being pulled apart and being sucked into the turbo). I threw that thing away a long time ago, I wouldn't give that to my worst enemy.
I know it's a joke. I gathered that from the context of the posts I've read. The comment was just an attempt by a new guy to fit in with the cool crowd.

Last edited by 6literdiesel; 05-16-2012 at 02:41 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:50 PM

I run the S&B have no complaints about it. Worked on a buddys 6.0 over the weekend the has the air raid kit and did not like all the black soot and debris that came out of it when he washed it out. Just doesn't seem like there seal to the hood system works all that well. I like the S&B being a sealed lid design.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:04 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm running a S&B and love it. Chris' aFe intake is nice and easily comes in and out for service. Either one will work for you.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:57 PM

As always, I greatly appreciate all of the input on this matter. In looking around I found an S&B kit with either the dry filter or cleanable filter, for $250 (new) plus a 10% off military discount. Sound like a reasonable price or should I keep looking? Thanks in advance...
Old 05-16-2012, 04:23 AM
Real Men of Genius

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Sounds like a good deal to me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.