new guy in GA - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Georgia Members Georgia Powerstroke.org Members Forum

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 04:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
new guy in GA

Im new to the forum and I am looking for a 7.3 f250. I woke up at 2am about 3 weeks ago and decided I needed a f250. And from looking around on this forum it seems to be the best one I have seen yet. And I hope so cause I might need to tap yalls knowledge....
So I guess I will start with a question. I have found a one owner 2002 f250 4x4 crew cab. I think it will need a couple injectors, tires, windsheild, interior, and a transmission i might could get a couple years out of. It has around 300k but seems to be a solid truck. From what I can tell so far it mainly needs TLC. If it wasn't for the price I probably would keep looking but I think I can get into it for $5000 or less. Which seems to be a deal.
So I know that its hard to tell much without yall looking at it but, yall know these trucks and would you jump all over it?
Thanks in advance for any help

Last edited by gixxer008; 12-07-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2011, 09:33 AM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Your looking at about 10k when all is said and done just to get back to decent factory, I would keep looking if I were you
Old 12-18-2011, 05:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

The problem with 7.3's is they are hard to find low mileage good condition without having to give up a left nut. I'd love to have an 7.3 too, but even the 95-97's are friggin' outrageously expensive. If you have the time and money to put into rebuilding one the way you want it, that would be cool. I do think at 300,000miles you'll run into other thing drive train wise that are worn out. End links, ball joints, calipers, seals, bearings, all that kinda stuff. Just be fully aware of what you're getting into is all I'm saying. I've been thinking of buying a good condition gas 250 with low miles and then pulling the engine out, selling it, and swapping in a diesel.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I bought it last week, I have to sell my car or other truck so I can start to tear into it. But going into I was think I would have to put about 7000 in it to get it where I want. I guess the next 6 months will tell me alot about the future of it. In the mean time I will be doing alot of cleaning up on it.
Thanks for the tips
Old 12-19-2011, 05:47 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
just check out the 7.3L discussions on here and post up a new thread. There are a BUNCH of guys w/ a ton of 7.3L knowledge. If you need any help....just let me know. I would be more than happy to help ya out.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:23 AM
Calling all Georgians!

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I think the biggest concern for you would be the tranny and suspension. As long as the motor had the oil changed on time, you'll probably be alright. If all the injectors are original, then yeah - set some money aside for maybe replacing a few of those. But the injectors are a "fix as needed" kind of thing, so don't fix them until they go.

That's just my opinion, others will tell you their's as well. The 7.3 is an awesome motor. I loved mine when I had it. Never let me down once, except when the CPS went out. Keep a spare CPS (Camshaft Positioning Sensor - about $30) with you when you take long hauls, and be sure to get some gauges to monitor Tranny Temp, Boost, and Pyrometer (EGT = Exhaust Gas Temperature).

Welcome to the ORG!
Old 12-22-2011, 04:27 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Just be prepared to spend a little more on parts, maintenance, etc. Be good to your truck and it will be good to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.