GPDA Christmas Toy Drive!!!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Georgia Members Georgia Powerstroke.org Members Forum

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 04:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
GPDA Christmas Toy Drive!!!!!

Alright, I'm glad you guys like the toy drive idea. What charity do you guys like? There are a lot that really need all the help they can get. I'd be more than happy to make the rounds and pick up the toys and deliver them to whatever charity we choose. Anyone who would like to come along would be welcome as well, lets just try and give a few children the chance to have a wonderful Christmas morning. Remember, the parents who spend days, nights and weekends with their kids in these hospitals, really appreciate gift cards to restaurants (hospital food gets old after a while and these folks have to eat a LOT of it). Fast food cards work great, they can grab a bite on the way to the hospitals and you get more meals for the money. The parents also got good use out of fuel cards, think how much it costs to drive from work into the city then back home everyday. Itunes, Best Buy and Target gift cards for the older kids work wonderfully as well.

One of my wifes very good friends had a very young child with cancer and they struggled through all the treatments and spent countless days by their child's side. Sadly in the end it wasn't enough. Even though they experienced an unimaginable loss, they were so thankful for the help offered by people they had never met.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think about the charity. I've started a list and will edit it as suggestions come in. BTW, shamelessly begging co-workers, neighbors and friends for donations is cool too. Remember, every little bit helps and since this is getting started so late we'll have to move quick.

1)Aflac cancer unit at Scottish Rite/Children's Health Care of Atlanta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2011, 04:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Heres the whole story in an e-mail my wife sent out to everyone in the Cobb county Magistrate court where she works. The folks at Cobb county are donating as well. Lets get this going guys! Please contact me with any questions you may have.

Hello,
I wanted to let you all know about something Matt and I are working on and a little bit of background on the project. A friend of mine and her husband tried for 10 years to get pregnant. They went through IVF and other fertility treatments for years. They finally gave up after trying for ten years with no success. They went on a trip to Jamaica and ended up pregnant! They had their baby boy, Aiden Hughes, and when he was just around 6 months old or so, they diagnosed him with Brain Cancer. They did surgeries on him, chemo, and radiation. He spent 9 months fighting the cancer and in the hospital at Childrenís Health Care of Atlanta. He lost his battle with cancer in January of 2010, before he ever turned two years old. Last year for Christmas, his parents (good friends of mine), did a big drive to get toys donated for all the children battling cancer who would spend their Christmas in the hospital. They also had things donated for the parents such as gas cards and restaurant and fast food gift cards. As you can imagine, having a child in this situation can be a huge financial stress for the parents. So thatís where the gift cards to help the parents came into play.
Anyway, Melanie and Jason Hughes (Aidenís parents) have moved and are unable to take on the project this year for donations to the children in the hospital. So Matt and I have decided we want to take on the project. We are asking for donations of toys for all ages, books, coloring book, crayons, etc. All toys must be new and still in the original packaging and no stuffed animals can be accepted. For the older kids, gift cards to places like Wal Mart, Target, Best Buy, and iTunes are suggested.
The Georgia Powerstroke Diesel Association is also working together to support this project and will be receiving and making donations as well.
If anyone is able to help, it would be greatly appreciated. We need all donations no later than December 20 so that we can get them to the hospital before Christmas. If you are willing to donate, please let me know, and Matt and I can work with you to pick up the items.
If you have any questions, please let me know. And if you know anyone who might be interested in helping, please share this with them.
Thank you and Merry Christmas!
Missy Wilbur
Courtroom Deputy Clerk
Cobb County Magistrate Court
770-528-8905
missy.wilbur@cobbcounty.org
Cobb County...Expect the Best
Cobb County Government
Cobb County...Expect the Best
Cobb County Government
Old 12-08-2011, 10:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

im more than happy to donate a few gifts!
Old 12-08-2011, 04:36 PM
Real Men of Genius

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Great idea! The girlfriend and I have already adopted a kid for Christmas, but I'll gladly send you guys some gift cards! Where do I send them to?

Just in case I'm in the area of a toy store... what age range are we buying for? Anything and everything I'm assuming?

Last edited by Super Diesel; 12-08-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Adopted a kid? You need to adopt me. Haha. All kidding aside this is an awesome idea
Old 12-08-2011, 05:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Thanks guys. You can PM me for my address. We're trying to give for all ages and every little thing is greatly appreciated. I'll be taking pics of the stuff we collect and post it up after this thing is done. We're very excited about the response we've got from the members. BTW, As soon as the logo is done I'm gonna have some t-shirts made and the guys who donate will have the first shot at them, so make sure you include your name with your donation.

It really means a lot to be able to give back to an organization like this. Thank you all.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:41 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I plan on getting a gas card, wendy's card(cheap and they're everywhere), and maybe some coloring books/puzzle book things.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Sounds great guys. Lets keep this going! BTW, those who donate will have first choice on the t-shirts when I get them made. I'm just waiting on a final logo cough, Nathan,cough.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

OK, I've got Wright337's donation, lets keep this going. These kids need all the help they can get.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:56 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
hey matt....do you wanna meet somewhere this afternoon/evening? I'll get off around 5-5:30 so I can give you our presents. shoot me a text b/c today is gonna be crazy and I may not have much time to be on here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.