Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Installing Knuckle seals without the special driver for them

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  mschn99 
#1 · (Edited)
Before i go any further, i want to make a point that this procedure ONLY works if you are replacing a hub bearing as well, or if you can get a hold of one that is already bad to use as a pressing tool. You may be able to buy or get a bad hub bearing assembly from a dealer or a junk yard cheap to do this with though.

To replace the backside hub seal on a superduty without the special for driver, you need the following tools (only for the seal replacement, any other repairs, and tearing it apart requires more tools)

Large brass hammer
Seal
hub bearing assembly you wont re-use

Place the hub through the rotor as pictured below.... IF you are re-using the rotor, make sure to put a piece of plywood or cardboard under the rotor...

Put the seal on top of the hub like below

Put the axle through both like below....

and hold the axle square while pounding on the top with the BRASS hammer....

IF you dont have a brass hammer available there is an option but you MUST be VERY carefull. This is how i did it. Take a socket or something you can ruin, and place it on top of the axle and hold it square.....that way you are impacting another surface with the hammer...you must be VERY carefull not to Mar the splines of the axle. Below is a pic of how i did it. Either way you can press the seal on this way without a problem as long as you dont damage the splines. Obviously the 3 pound or so brass hammer is the way to go because brass is softer than steel and wont hurt the axle. DONT use a good hub bearing for this, you will damage it and cause it to fail prematurely.

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.