New to the forum have a couple questions!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General High Performance Everything else that involves speed diesel!!!

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2009, 06:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to the forum have a couple questions!!!

is a ts 6 position chip the way to go???
how do i make my 7.3 get better mileage?
how much is too much for the 4r100?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2009, 06:37 PM
Premium Member

Welcome to the Org!!

Im not a 7.3 guy but I will try to answer your questions

1. you defiantly want a custom tuned chip, I would recommend Tony Wildman. I think he puts his tunes on the ts chip
2. Exhaust, Intake, Custom tuned chip and I light foot should yeild decent MPG's Gauges are a MUST when running any chip!!!!
3.The Tranny's seem to be the weak spot in these trucks, Im not sure what their limit is. I will let someone else chime in on this.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have the SuperChips programmer for my 97, and I'm very happy with it. Nothing to install. Easy to use. Easy to re-program to stock if need be, and comes with I believe less than 6 setting, but it has 'extreme' which I use, as well as a 'tow-safe' and 'economy' setting.

Since I have it together with propane - I also installed a very simple shift-kit, to reduce slipping. I'm not sure if anyone can answer how many HP you can safely run through your tranny. Lots of torque is even worse, but the transmissions are strong. Obviously you will wear it out if you keep pulling through the gears under full load - all day every day.

As you get used to your truck, you also learn when it shifts, so you let up for a millisecond, to help it. (As long as you have a shift-kit - so you can feel it. Stock is just too sloppy)

Fuel economy. My SuperChips programmer helped a little, so did better intake and exhaust. I'll get 19 mpg at around 75 - and it'll drop to 17 if I'm at 85-90 - which I believe to be well over 1 mph/gallon better than stock (but not 4-5 mpg like I get the feeling that some people like to claim/believe)

For years I measured every time I filled - and since I did mods not all at once, I just kept seeing slightly better and better figures - while the engine becoming more perky with each mod - also, so the total is worth the effort.
My best readings are over 20, and one just over 21 mpg, but that's on slow windy roads, but hilly, and all the way up to 9,800 feet, so I was impressed.

As soon as you start making mods, you'll see what works - and what you like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.