turbo vs supercharger - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General High Performance Everything else that involves speed diesel!!!

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2010, 11:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
turbo vs supercharger

A question for the speed freaks. Why a turbo charger as opposed to a supercharger? I know on a stock truck it has to do with space limitations, cost and fuel economy.But for out and out performance wouldn't a supercharger be the hot ticket? Two problems with a turbo are high exhaust temps and turbo lag.Seems a supercharger would help those. Didn't Detroit run a supercharger years ago? what was the pros and cons? A supercharger gives more low RPM power and that's where a diesel lives. I know on most street truck owners budget, replacing stock items for improved after market is the most cost effective,but I don't seem to see any of the all out horsepower guys even talking supercharger, how come?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2010, 11:57 AM

Superchargers work on gas engines, not on 4 stroke diesels. They did use them on Detroit 2 cycle diesels but for a slightly different purpose. Trust me, if it would work on a 4 stroke diesel, it'd already be done, there's a reason they don't use them. Also, it does take power to spin a supercharger. For example, to spin a supercharger on a top fuel car, it takes 400 hp just to spin the supercharger to produce 50 psi.

Last edited by StarDriver; 12-14-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:03 PM

also turbos dont need belts that can slip,or need pulleys to up the boost.I would take a turbo over a blower anyday of the week.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarDriver View Post
Superchargers work on gas engines, not on 4 stroke diesels. They did use them on Detroit 2 cycle diesels but for a slightly different purpose. Trust me, if it would work on a 4 stroke diesel, it'd already be done, there's a reason they don't use them. Also, it does take power to spin a supercharger. For example, to spin a supercharger on a top fuel car, it takes 400 hp just to spin the supercharger to produce 50 psi.
I knew they took power to make power and used to be used. What was the reasons for no longer running them? On gas motors both turbos and supers work,but not on diesels? I'm not trying to argue, just was wondering why. I knew there was solid reasons why it wasn't being done. Guys with a 60,000 dollar truck and 20,000 worth of performance stuff would stuff a super in there somewhere if it was possible.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:08 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarDriver View Post
I disagree 100% A supercharger does take power to spin it, but a turbo is not 100% free power. Drive pressures in a turbo can actually rob as much if not more power than a super charger. Check these guys out, might change your mind. In the News
Old 12-14-2010, 12:12 PM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dereku
ok a super charger is good for performance on a car, god off the line decent top end.

But look at it this way, supercharger v8 making 500 hp

Or a turbo charged v8 that makes 500hp

On can get 20mpg on can get 8 mpg. That goes for gas as well as diesel.

A turbo uses wasted energy, I.E. exhaust to spin a turbo, where as a super charger uses usable power to spin the super charger. If a super charged engine had no belt and was spun by an outside source they would be very fast but that just doesnt work that way.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:32 PM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Danny Elmore is running one on his 04 Super Duty. He uses it to tow and race with.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:42 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Dustin Woodhouse has one on his 6.4 as well. there are also a few on 7.3's
Old 12-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Old 12-14-2010, 12:59 PM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dereku
But arent those used in conjunction with turbos?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.