Wish me luck - first long haul - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2009, 09:33 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smile Wish me luck - first long haul

Well, I will be loading my new F-250 up for its first long distance haul... nothing too heavy, but the lady and I are driving from Alaska to Minnesota empty, and then bringing back a 12 ft trailer (about 4k lbs ) with a bunch of her stuff in it after visiting with family.

Wish me luck, or rather wish my tranny luck since thats the only thing that has me worried about this trip ... I have my gauges and such, but am just paranoid of blowing a tranny out in the Yukon or BC... I have not had any warning signs of problems with my tranny (max temp I have seen is 160F) and have only got on it real heavy once thus far (had to try out Jody's 120 Race tune from a complete stop...), but I only bought truck in December and have about 5000 miles on it myself (at about 150,000 for the truck) so to me its still on the "reliability probation" side of things...

Aside from that I am looking forward to the drive and am bringing my whole stinkin 400 lb toolbox with me to help ward off Murphy and his gremlins...

On the fun note, it will be the first time ever for me driving through , the lady has done it a few times but I never have, sad since I have lived in Alaska my whole life...

To those traveling this Memorial Day Weekend, keep it safe and don't mix the drinks and driving...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2009, 10:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Have a good trip. Are you going straight south and then over to MN? Or are you gonna run through AB and Sask.? <----- this way i faster
Old 05-22-2009, 10:14 AM

Good luck and have a great weekend!
Old 05-22-2009, 11:30 AM
Premium Member

South first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerage View Post
Have a good trip. Are you going straight south and then over to MN? Or are you gonna run through AB and Sask.? <----- this way i faster
Powerage:

Heading south through Edmonton - Calgary to Great Falls Montana and then cutting over through ND... dropping back into US mostly because of fuel costs... From what I can tell its around $2.30 to $2.40 a gallon in the Montana/North Dakota region and over $3.20US in Saskatchewan (using forums here and GasBuddy.com)

Had thought about driving all the way to Winnipeg and heading south there, but didn't see any real savings mileage or time-wise...

That's the plan at least...

Powerage, if you don't mind, what is the cost (US) for a gallon of fuel in your area?

Thanks for the good wishes Symbols...
Old 05-22-2009, 11:36 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
fuel will probly be up to around 2.80-3.00 a gallon by this week end through montana. if I member right their fuel is usualy bout 10-20 cents a gallon cheaper than here in Idaho. but its been a few days since I went on a road trip.

As far as the 4k trailer. dont sweat it your truck wont even know your towing.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:45 AM

76.9/L in Saskatoon. You should be able to make Saskatoon from Edmonton if you go that way. That's about $3.05/ US gallon in Can Dollars. Works out to about $2.80- $3.00 per Gallon US dollars. Depending on exchange at the time.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:15 PM
Premium Member

Powerage just ruined my Day (LOL)

Yikes!! Powerage -- you ruined my day... I am paying 3.36/gal here in Fairbanks!!! That means Canada is CHEAPER than my hometown!! Sad sad day! As long as I can remember Canada has always been more expensive... pain so much pain...

GRRRRR!!!

On a more serious note, many thanks for the heads up on fuel prices guys... much appreciated!
Old 05-22-2009, 12:18 PM

Youll be fine with all that cool air blowing over your tranny cooler at cruising speeds. A little tip I learned is try to keep your RPMs under 2k or below and your EGTs 600 degrees or below. This is where I get my absolute best fuel economy. Did you get the trailor from uhaul?

Oh and not that it matters but diesel is $2.30 here in soCal.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:26 PM
wriott

good luck and have a safe trip
Old 05-22-2009, 12:41 PM
Emergency Services

HAVE A SAFE TRIP, AND A WONDERFUL WEEKEND
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.