7.3 engine oil dipstick length check - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2009, 07:27 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 engine oil dipstick length check

Will someone please check the engine oil dipstick length on a comparable year truck so I can compare it to mine.

I purchased my 1st diesel a 2000 F-250 extended cab short bed 4x4 7.3 turbo diesel a few weeks ago. I changed the oil a few days ago and I am not sure what to think of what I found. I have checked the oil several times since I bought it. It has a few oil leaks so I have been keeping a close eye on it. It has always been full, maybe a little overfull when looking at the dipstick.
I drained the oil and got out around 10 quarts including the oil out of the filter. I know how much came out because I poured it into gallon jugs to take it to a recycling center.
My owners manual, and every place I look, says it holds 15.0 quarts including 2 quarts in the oil filter.
I put 15.0 quarts of oil in it (including the oil I put in the oil filter) and let it run for a few minutes, I then let it set for 20 mins or so before checking the oil level on the dipstick, it shows way over full on the stick. It is pretty hard to screw up draining the oil out of the pan. I also know how much oil I put in it.
I am convinced someone has swapped dipsticks in this truck. I checked mine at close to 46" from the end, where the plastic piece w/ the oil level marks are, to where it seats on the end of the dipstick tube. The seating surface is about 1" up inside the T-handle of the dipstick on the one I am checking.

I know I have the correct amount of oil in it but it still freaks with my head knowing it is way too high on the dipstick.
The previous owner had a bad experience w/ the dealer when he bought this truck. Basically he got screwed. After stopping to get fuel a few blocks from where he bought it. He had to go back and get the transmission dipstick that was missing when he opened the hood to check the fluids. They just pulled one out of a 2002 diesel on the lot. God knows if they got the right one back in that truck.

Thanks!

Last edited by cman962; 05-23-2009 at 06:48 AM. Reason: no replies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2009, 07:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Is it possible that the hpop res and rails are draining back into the pan? Shot in the dark. Maybe a tech will chime in. I know on some year truck there was an issue with the wrong dipstick but I can't remember what year.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:53 AM

thanks for the input..but..all I need is a measurement...

I don't think it is draining oil rails or anything like that. After putting in 8 quarts of oil it was showing on the dipstick.
All I need at this point is someone to measure their comparable year/ diesel engine oil dipstick and post the length.
I have nothing to compare to until I get a measurement from someone. I can then measure and leave X" above the dipstick tube to check mine until I cut it down or get another one.

Thanks in advance,
Clair
Old 05-23-2009, 07:25 PM

Forget it! ... I got an answer on another site in a few hrs.

I thought someone would take a minute and measure a dipstick for a fellow Powerstroke owner. I guess I was wrong.

Don't get me wrong, There seems to be a lot of knowledgeable guys on this site. Being a newby to the diesel owners group, I have also found a lot of good info on this site! I am a little let down, It was such a simple request....
Old 05-23-2009, 07:33 PM
PMR = JUNK

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Quote:
Originally Posted by cman962 View Post
I thought someone would take a minute and measure a dipstick for a fellow Powerstroke owner. I guess I was wrong.

Don't get me wrong, There seems to be a lot of knowledgeable guys on this site. Being a newby to the diesel owners group, I have also found a lot of good info on this site! I am a little let down, It was such a simple request....
Don't take it personal man, this site gets busy and sometimes threads get over looked or not seen at all. As fast as threads are made and stuff on this site, sometimes they get pushed off of the active topics board. Just bump it to the top from time to time, you'll get what you are looking for. If id seen it i would have went and measured mine.

That sounds weird.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cman962 View Post

I have a 1996 7.3L DI.

It's 22.5 inches from the bottom of the plastic handle to the full line, and 25.5 inches to the end of the stick.

Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.