Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

7.3L common repairs big & small

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Marty 
#1 ·
just wondering if there are any expensive repairs to be expecting on the 7.3L. A buddy has gone through 2 oil pans i believe he said since he bought his 7.3L in 2000. Has anyone else had this problem or any other big or small common problems or parts that go bad every few years no matter what?

#4 ·
All 7.3 oil pans rust out up here in the salt belt.

#6 ·
As said above, every truck is different. I keep hearing water pumps, wheel bearing units, ball joints (especially if they are the original) and transmissions if it is an auto. As far as I know, my truck has had one water pump changed, ball joints once (replaced with MOOG's) transmission went out once and was replaced with an upgraded one, and oddly enough (knock on wood) hasn't had wheel bearings replaced yet despite having 35's or 37's on it since 100,000 or so. It's at 190,000 now. Sometimes it is just luck of the draw. Other than that, just your normal maintenance, oil changes, fuel filters, transmission fluid changes (how often depends on temperature and use), etc. Hope this helps a bit.
-Aaron

#7 ·
cps's tend to go quit often

#8 ·
Oh yeah, forgot about that one...that is another one I got lucky on....Mine is still the original. (But I do carry a spare!)
-Aaron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.