Just got off the phone with South Bend tech - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2009, 09:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just got off the phone with South Bend tech

The guy over at South Bend was very informative and a super nice guy to talk to. For those who do not know my situation here goes. I bought a 97 F350 4x4 for a smoking deal with a broken ZF5. Ended up the case was bad and all internal parts so I had a complete assembly built with all new part$. I also had a South Bend CON OFE installed at the same time. While idleing the truck made a loud noise that sounded like a LOUD PTO on a dump truck. The tranny company pulled the tranny back out and went through everything again and assured me that nothing looked wrong. I had it listened to by 2 other professional tranny companies and we decided to leave it alone and run it that it was common for this clutch.

Fast forward a couple months to the DFW GTG and John Wayne has just installed the same clutch so I asked him to listen to his. His makes NO noise at all. So today I called the tranny shop and had a bit of a discussion with them about it (got a little heated). After I got off the phone with them I called South Bend directly. Apparently this sound is common. They actually have two versions of the CON OFE one with a HD disc and one with a disc like what is on the LUKE discs. He assured me that he has gone over this many times and that the disc in my truck will last longer and hold up better than the LUKE style disc but would just be louder. I can live with that as long as my tranny does not go South while on a road trip. I feel more at ease now. JJ

Last edited by Hardline; 05-05-2009 at 02:03 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2009, 11:46 AM
Thats Mr. Oil Leak.....

Send a message via AIM to MrJohnWayne Send a message via MSN to MrJohnWayne Send a message via Yahoo to MrJohnWayne
well I'm glad that got smoothed over. It just amazes me the difference in the sounds between yours and mine.

As long as she stays on the road I guess all is well
Old 05-05-2009, 07:28 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via ICQ to overl0rd Send a message via AIM to overl0rd
Mine makes all kinds of noise at idle, and at low speeds in gear. The ZF is a pretty noisy box by itself, but without cush springs in the pressure plate or flywheel little engine vibrations can make it make noise too. Mine has a couple of not so hot injectors that I'm going to bet cause my noise.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by overl0rd View Post
Mine makes all kinds of noise at idle, and at low speeds in gear. The ZF is a pretty noisy box by itself, but without cush springs in the pressure plate or flywheel little engine vibrations can make it make noise too. Mine has a couple of not so hot injectors that I'm going to bet cause my noise.
YUP He did mention that also. He said that if you have any type of injector issue it will magnify the pulses on the crank and make more noise. I have a long list of parts that are going to be installed on the truck in the coming months so should take care of any of those issues I "might" be having. Umm Dirk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.