I got rear ended! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2009, 07:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I got rear ended!

I was sitting at a stoplight maybe 4-5 cars behind the front of the line when I noticed a small black car in my rear view mirror. At the time, it was still back far enough that it had plenty of time to stop, but for some reason I kept my eye on it. It must have been going about 45 mph when I realized it was not going to stop in time. I braced for impact but it seemed like time stood still. I knew it was going to hit, but it felt like it took a minute or two between me preparing to get hit, and it actually happening. Very strange. Almost as if it were a bullet instead of a car I could have dodged it. Anyways, it slammed me pretty good but my '05 F250 crew cab didn't budge an inch!

I pulled up onto the curb so's not to block traffic. I get out of my truck, walk to the rear, and what do I see.......hardly any damage to my truck! There's a few scrapes, and a medium sized dent on the right side of the bumper, but that's it. No damage to my tailgate or the tail lights.

I walked over to the car that hit me, and the thing is completely totaled. It was a 1992 Toyota Camry. Now, my truck is at stock height but even so, the bottom of my rear bumper just cleared the top of the Camry's front bumper. That caused the cars hood to fold in half like a piece of paper, and nearly smash up against the windshield. The radiator was pushed so hard into the motor that I'm pretty sure the motor came loose and slammed into the firewall. There was antifreeze and debris all over the road.

The driver was.......you guessed it, a 16 year old girl and her (also) 16 year old friend! She had just gotten the car, and it was her first time driving without her parents with. I don't think she stopped crying and apologizing once during the whole ordeal. Of course the car is in her parents name, and they only have liability on it, so it's a total loss for them.

The girl had called her parents to come pick her up, and I talked with her father when they showed up. He was a pretty cool guy, but he had asked me not to notify his insurance until I get an estimate on my damage to see if maybe he could pay for it out of pocket.

This all happened yesterday afternoon, and at the time I didn't feel any whiplash effects, but later that day, and all day today my upper back and neck has been hurting pretty badly.

This is my first accident in 12 years of driving, so I have no experience in how to handle a situation like this. I didn't make any phone calls yesterday. Today I made an appointment to the Chiropracter for tomorrow, and then called my insurance company to file a claim. As it stands after talking with them, their claiming I have to pay my deductible plus Chiropracter fees, and eventually after my insurance settles with the girls parents insurance, I'll get reimbursed. They said that can take months though.

To me this is complete BS. I was the one that was hit. I shouldn't be paying a dime out of pocket. Her parents insurance should be covering my truck repair, plus medical fees, correct? Even though I filed a claim with my insurance, should I call her parents insurance company myself to settle this, or is it too late?

If anyone has any wisdom to share I'd really appreciate it.

I'm sorry to regret I don't have any pictures of the Toyota, but I can upload a picture of my damage if anyone wants to see it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2009, 07:19 PM

Our trucks are pretty solid I have come to notice. Sorry that you are a little sore.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:24 PM
Emergency Services

the stiffness is prolly from where you seen it coming and tensed up so to speak. anytime you are involved, or witness a crash, always never move your vehicle unless it is endangering you or someone else, that is the worst thing you could do. it is always best to inform law enforcement just for a police report so you have sometime as proof to fall back on. some ins. co. will make you get estimates, or provide reciepts as payback, i would concentrate on getting to the chiropractor to ensure you have no back injuries. hope everything works out
Old 05-04-2009, 07:26 PM

i had a lady back into me at the post office. took a few weeks to get it cleared that it was her fault cause i didn't call the cops. gonna do that from now on. i would call her insurance too.
i think that's what you should do
Old 05-04-2009, 07:29 PM
Chug-a-lug!!!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You def. shouldn't have to pay anything out of pocket. I would talk to their ins. company. Did you call the police? One thing I've learned is to always call the police no matter whose fault you think it is.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:34 PM

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I did call the police. They didn't do or say very much when they showed up though.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:34 PM
Chug-a-lug!!!

The girl didn't get a ticket!!!????
Old 05-04-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang1989 View Post
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I did call the police. They didn't do or say very much when they showed up though.
she better have gotten one.and they better have written something up
Old 05-04-2009, 07:41 PM

Nope, she never got a ticket. The cop just asked her and I a couple of questions about the accident, looked up our info in his cars computer, wrote down the two vehicles plate #'s, and that's about it. He did give each of us a case number though.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:51 PM
Chug-a-lug!!!

Was she hot? Is her dad a prominent individual around town. If it had been me I woulda got a big fat ticket.

I was backing out of a spot at Walmart one time and this car came flying down the aisle to get a parking spot just across from me and whipped over towards me to make the turn and we collided. The man in the back seat told us that he saw us backing out when they turned down the aisle but didn't say anything. The cop told me that he was going to note on his accident report that he didn't think I was at fault. Six months later my insurance company called and said that the people were filing a claim against us. When I got the police report the cop wrote on there that it was improper backing on my part. The d-bag lied to me. I was pissed. What was wierd is that they just bought the car two days before in Oklahoma, she had a California drivers license, and Insurance out of Texas. Then they wait 5 months and 3 weeks to file their claim right before their insurance expires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.