expensive fix= lesson learned - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-22-2009, 05:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: boulder creek
Posts: 923
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
expensive fix= lesson learned

so i had a party at my house and i have some property so me and my buddies went wheeling and i got stuck..... real stuck stuck over night. had a lifted diesel van and a old ford trying to than by buddy with an 03 7.3 tried to yank me out and still nothing all 4 wheels were off the ground and we got it out the next morning with a jeep with a winch. and from trying to get out so hard i spun the barrings so fast one cracked and one pretty much welded its self to the sleeve. and some how the bolt that goes in the bushings to keep the leaf spring on snapped and my bumper mounts got broke and a chain snapped and slammed my tail gate but just to get the wheel fixed and have all the new bushings put in was $470 so i learned my lesson. deffinantly shouldnt have done it with me and my girl moving in together. she is pissed. but if i didnt fix it i would have been F%$@ed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 04-22-2009, 05:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
stuck

Seemed like a good idea at the time.

If you would not have got stuck it would have just been a fun time with the boys. You just never know what will happen. Put it in "the lessons learned" folder.

At least you had fun up until the stuck and paying for the fix, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 04-22-2009, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 13,277
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Ouch, I was scared of stuff like this when I got stuck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 04-22-2009, 05:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ocala, Fl
Posts: 1,426
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to no-tel-in
although fun, rootin is damn sure not worth it, i stuck my old '96 stroke overnight and it was not pretty after i pulled it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 04-22-2009, 05:54 PM
duct tape & zip ties

 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Willis, MI
Posts: 10,761
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4_million_boy View Post
so i had a party at my house and i have some property so me and my buddies went wheeling and i got stuck..... real stuck stuck over night. had a lifted diesel van and a old ford trying to than by buddy with an 03 7.3 tried to yank me out and still nothing all 4 wheels were off the ground and we got it out the next morning with a jeep with a winch. and from trying to get out so hard i spun the barrings so fast one cracked and one pretty much welded its self to the sleeve. and some how the bolt that goes in the bushings to keep the leaf spring on snapped and my bumper mounts got broke and a chain snapped and slammed my tail gate but just to get the wheel fixed and have all the new bushings put in was $470 so i learned my lesson. deffinantly shouldnt have done it with me and my girl moving in together. she is pissed. but if i didnt fix it i would have been F%$@ed
I highlighted the most important phrase in your posting in red. Why did I high light it. Well lets see I can guess you will were trying to snatch the truck with the chain.

A chain is not designed for vehicle recovery. Will it work for vehicle recovery yes it will. If it is a steady continous pull. Like when using a winch. But not for jerking. Lucky no one was hurt or killed.

Now am I saying a recovery strap would have been more usefull. Yes I am, why is that. Well a recovery strap when used right will actually stretch and rebound like a bunge cord. Thus causing less possibilty of damage to truck, injury to human, or death to human.

Now am I saying that a strap can't cause injury or death to a human, or damage to a truck. No I am not, but what I am saying if it is used properly then it will greatly reduce the possibilty of it happening.

Sorry to hear about your truck.

I am not bashing you, I just read your post and thought I would add some vehicle recovery safety. I hope you do not mind that I did so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 04-22-2009, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 13,277
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountrysg View Post
I highlighted the most important phrase in your posting in red. Why did I high light it. Well lets see I can guess you will were trying to snatch the truck with the chain.

A chain is not designed for vehicle recovery. Will it work for vehicle recovery yes it will. If it is a steady continous pull. Like when using a winch. But not for jerking. Lucky no one was hurt or killed.

Now am I saying a recovery strap would have been more usefull. Yes I am, why is that. Well a recovery strap when used right will actually stretch and rebound like a bunge cord. Thus causing less possibilty of damage to truck, injury to human, or death to human.

Now am I saying that a strap can't cause injury or death to a human, or damage to a truck. No I am not, but what I am saying if it is used properly then it will greatly reduce the possibilty of it happening.

Sorry to hear about your truck.

I am not bashing you, I just read your post and thought I would add some vehicle recovery safety. I hope you do not mind that I did so.
Oh you would freak watching the vids of me trying to get my cousins jeep out of the lake. Had to yank on his winch cable( it was our only option) and now he has 12 different sections of that cable. Not a fun weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 04-22-2009, 05:59 PM
duct tape & zip ties

 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Willis, MI
Posts: 10,761
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose350 View Post
Oh you would freak watching the vids of me trying to get my cousins jeep out of the lake. Had to yank on his winch cable( it was our only option) and now he has 12 different sections of that cable. Not a fun weekend.

It was not your only option, it was the easiest option and you used it.

But I am not here to hi-jack this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors