Dusting a motor? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2006, 05:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dusting a motor?

I know this may sound kinda strange but I am trying to understand the whole concept of dusting a motor. I have always had gas motors and a little dust has never hurt anything. So why is the diesel motor different? Is it because of the different tolerances and clearances a diesel has internally? I am just wanting to see if someone can give me a good technical explanation of the term dusting a motor, why a diesel is so much more prone to failure than a gas motor, and what actually happens when a motor is dusted. I know some guys with dump trucks and they are in some of the worst conditions (ex. dust, dirt, ash, coal) a vehicle can be in but I have never heard of them having a problem. Thanks everyone.

Last edited by pro99line; 02-03-2006 at 05:14 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2006, 05:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

A dusted engine is just that, dusted. Think of it this way. A dusted engine has been sandblasted from the inside. If you get to see one you will understand. The middle cly. on a Powerstroke get the balk of the dust due to the fact that air can turn faster than dirt. The dirt does not make it to the front or rear most cly. The crosshatching will still show on the good cly. The dusted cly. will be polished (sandblasted). This can happen on gassers to. Diesels have higher cly. pressures and tighter tolerances, so it happens more to them. I hope this helps.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:49 PM

I understand what you are trying to explain but at the same time I have never seen a gas motor in that way. Atleast never one that had a decent filter on it. I do understand the higher compression in the diesel. I atleast now understand when someone says dusted they mean the actual cylinder is damaged. I was kinda curious. Now my only question is this. You say it "polishes" the cylinder. When we built motors and hone them many tyime it comes out to a nice polished look. I guess what I am trying to ask is this. Is the "polishing" actually removing metal or pitting the cylinder in a way compression can leak down? Does it eat away at the rings? I am just trying to understand this. When someone says dusted they must be talking about alot of dust going in the motor to cause the kinda problems you described.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

As you hone you leave scratches in the walls, crosshatching if you will. The dirt blasts the walls, removing very small bits of steel. This oversizes the bore and the sealing of the rings lost.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:07 PM
Banned

the bottom line with dusting is a dual stage effect. first off, the turbo is usually the first to be damaged. the turbo vaines (intake side that you can see with the air intake tube off) show signs of dusting when the edges dont look crisp and smooth....they should look kind of like a dull but not damaged knife...not a serated blade.....the second effect of dusting is that with the high compression, and the high air charges of the turbo....the cylender actually has the cylender walls, and valve seats......ground down by the dirt. this makes excessive blow by.....and causes multiple componants of the motor not to seal properly.....the most important of them is the rings......and thus....a dusted motor........Marc
Old 02-04-2006, 02:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Just note. DO NOT USE RESTORE in a powerstroke. It wipes out the IPR. Had one guy try it not once but twice. He got less than 2 miles after his oil change both times.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:41 AM

I do nto have a problem with my motor. I was just curious of the exact effects of dusting. You both cleared it up very well. Thanks.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:24 PM

Cool dusting

The problem I see is that little bit of dirt in the gas engine is not a good thing. Now think about an engine that takes in 10 times that amount of air. That would be the diesel. If there is a fault in the intake, even a very small compromise, you can ruin a diesel engine fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.