Help Me Out....Decisions, Decisions...new to diesel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2009, 09:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help Me Out....Decisions, Decisions...new to diesel

Okay to start out..DONT try talking me out of the F-250, I want a diesel truck and love Ford, THIS is the truck I want to get.

I've always driven gas......

But test drove my friends Chevy 2500(?) diesel and was very impressed with the amount of extra power it had compared to a gas truck.

This is going to be my main car for a lonnnnnnnnnnng time, so I want to get the most out of it.

So besides manual vs. automatic (getting automatic), what options will give me the best performance, ride, handling (big factor seeing that I live in the city but work in the outskirts)...

Dunno if this is the right place (admins go ahead and place this somewhere else if you want) to post but here I go...

I'm looking to buy a F-250 with the 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel, and want some help picking out the right options.

I'm definitely going with the 5 speed automatic. Pretty sure I want the 3.55 Limited Slip Axle ratio?

Also what’s the difference between the tire options they give me?

What advantages will the Stabilizer Bar package give me....

I'll be towing a 27 ft Contender with Twin 250 Yamaha's and the occasional few ATV's and wave runners.

Extra heavy-duty alternator, duals, or just the standard?

When I do get it, what’s your favorite chip to get the best gas mileage/performance?

I'm building it to be a XL Super Cab with a couple extra amenities that don't really warrant posting on here..

SOOOO can everyone give their opinions; also is there anything that I left out that you guys think is important? Lemme know

Thanks Damien

P.S. What was your actual gas mileage with the 6.4 diesel before you moded your trucks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2009, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
First off if you are towing you want more gear than the 3.55's. Of course it also depends on tire size but ordering it with the right gear in it is probably cheaper than changing it after the fact. I would think at least a 3.73 . Forget the chip and get an SCT X3 with a custom tune. It the only way to go with a Powerstroke.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

why would somebody here try to talk you out of a f250??
3.73 is the safest bet for an rear end ratio . With that ratio 10-12,000 pounds is no problem,but can still yield decent mileage. Definately choose the tow package...the controller and five speed automatic work great together and its not that expensice of an option.It wouldnt hurt to get the dual alternator package.....but I will tell you,,,I dont miss it on my truck. If I was driving an ambulance or a snow-plow truck, I might.
Are you sure you want to special order a truck?? There are some really good deals on
inventory already sitting on the lots..they may be equipped better than you expect.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I still have'nt gone to the dealership yet. I'm still shopping around and trying to figure out exactly what I want.

I just finished siging up for the Navy (yes I do need a car, and yes I will use it), and once I'm in I figure I can use a maximum of $850 a month for a 60 month plan (around $51,000).

When I built the truck online it would'nt let me get the 3.73 if I choose the 5 speed automatic and 4x2. Unless you can turn on and off the four wheel drive as needed with the flip of a switch like the chevy's I'm not going to get 4x4 due to the gas mileage.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Also looking to try to get 18-19 mpg highway at the worst if that's even possible.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcdamien View Post
Unless you can turn on and off the four wheel drive as needed with the flip of a switch like the chevy's I'm not going to get 4x4 due to the gas mileage.
What? Flip the switch?

Yes, you can "flip the switch" and it is either 4x4L, 4x4H, or 2WD

Last edited by BigKid; 04-07-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:47 PM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
I still have'nt gone to the dealership yet. I'm still shopping around and trying to figure out exactly what I want.

I just finished siging up for the Navy (yes I do need a car, and yes I will use it), and once I'm in I figure I can use a maximum of $850 a month for a 60 month plan (around $51,000).

When I built the truck online it would'nt let me get the 3.73 if I choose the 5 speed automatic and 4x2. Unless you can turn on and off the four wheel drive as needed with the flip of a switch like the chevy's I'm not going to get 4x4 due to the gas mileage.
Fords have the shift on the fly 4x4 as an option, just as it is with the Chevy's. I don't have a 6.4, so I have nothing to comment on it, other than I hear it's an awesome powerplant. The one thing I would suggest, if your planning on keeping this truck for as long as you say, you should anni up for a crew cab. The extra space is great, and if you do have kids, you don't have to buy a mini-van

I do have to ask, why would anybody here alk you out of a F-250 , we'd talk you out of a Chevy, no problem

Old 04-07-2009, 01:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to jhaddox
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
First off if you are towing you want more gear than the 3.55's. Of course it also depends on tire size but ordering it with the right gear in it is probably cheaper than changing it after the fact. I would think at least a 3.73 . Forget the chip and get an SCT X3 with a custom tune. It the only way to go with a Powerstroke.
with a 6.4 you cant use the x3...you can get a livewire tuned by innovative, or Spartan Dashdaq for the 6.4...right now people seem to be liking the dashdaq more but the livewire is always good

for those tunes id get a dpf delete to hop up your fuel milage
Old 04-07-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:

Electronic shifting has been available on Ford trucks for at least 20-25 years now. I personnaly prefer the manual hubs with manual transfer control shifter inside the truck that does allow you to engage 4wd while on the roll..
If you are looking at a truck at a dealer and it seems to be a deal except that it has manual hubs ...I would hesitate to call it a "show stopper"( Many 4wd enthusiasts prefer the manual system due to rock solid reliability and the ability to engage the hubs when you are stuck)

The amount you have allocated is pretty sufficient)....there are some aggressive deals at dealerships right now.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnecsteve View Post
Electronic shifting has been available on Ford trucks for at least 20-25 years now. I personnaly prefer the manual hubs with manual transfer control shifter inside the truck that does allow you to engage 4wd while on the roll..
If you are looking at a truck at a dealer and it seems to be a deal except that it has manual hubs ...I would hesitate to call it a "show stopper"( Many 4wd enthusiasts prefer the manual system due to rock solid reliability and the ability to engage the hubs when you are stuck)

The amount you have allocated is pretty sufficient)....there are some aggressive deals at dealerships right now.
Another thought...when you go to a dealer...take at least ONE online loan quote with you...IT will help to cut through a LOT of crap in your negotiations.
This is a good read also
Confessions of a Car Salesman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.