Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Convince Me

3K views 30 replies 21 participants last post by  jbetzelb 
#1 ·
Sway me one way or the other please. Out of the blue my wife said she thinks WE should buy a new truck. My current truck is a 01 CC 250 XLT with 143 K miles. The best vehicle I have ever owned. It is a well maintained truck in excellent condition inside and out. Stock except for a TS 6 pos chip. It has never been worked anywhere close to its capicity and it has never failed me. Never been in the shop for anything big. Bottom line is it is in great shape and I love it. The flip side, who wouldn't want a sweet 09. Money wise I can afford it I guess. I think what is driving the wife is she knows our next new vehicle will be a truck and she is thinking until we get that out of the way she wont get a new suv. Sorry, a little long but your thoughts?

#4 ·
Her car is a 04 Expedition with 50K miles so it is good for a while. We end up using the truck a lot more on road trips. A lot of our road trips involve towing our boat somewhere and she is afraid with 143K miles something is bound to break. The truck is all original. It was in the shop twice in it's life. Once for lower ball joints and once for a AC compressor. I replaced the starter on it at 102K miles.

#10 ·
i say keep the 7.3, trade in the wifes suv and buy her a 09 and let her drive it..

(if you sell the 7.3 i want dibs on the TS 6 pos.)

#11 ·
Self made millionaires do not usually buy new cars just because they can. If everyone is in good shape on cars build wealth! But I know that is an unpopular way to look at things. JJ

#14 ·
My 2 cents.

If you have the money and it isn't an issue, do it. IMO the new 6.4s are badass. You would probably buy the top of the line I assume. The mirrors power in and out, they power fold, the brake controler is built in, lifter switches are always cool for hookin up stuff, it turns really well compared to the older trucks, already has navigation, nice little stereo......basically everything I upgraded on my 7.3, the 6.4 comes with.
Only downfall IMO is the mileage, but with dpf delete and tuner......quick fix.

#19 ·
The new superduty's are sweet not to many people are going to disagree with that, but I would set aside 4k for a new built transmission and hang onto your 7.3 and look into getting the wife a new SUV.

Your truck has 150k on it, and the wifes has 50k on it. Over the next 50,000 miles your truck is going to depreciate a small amount; if you put 50k on that expedition at 100k it is absolutely worthless. If you don't get rid of a used GAS vehicle before 60,000 miles most consumers will think it is junk and not worth much.

#23 ·
Well man if thats what your heart is set on, then that is what you should do. :thumb: 7.3 is a good truck, no doubting that. Its just a matter of putting a little in it here and little in it there and keepin it runnin strong. It will no doubt be cheaper than another truck payment.

#22 ·
I agree. Keep the 7.3 and buy her a new whatever (truck, SUV, etc.). Think of the brownie points you'll earn!!!

#24 ·
Everyones finances are differant so I wouldnt even begin to suggest one based on my financial situation....however
a . I suspect it is a buyers market for new trucks
b . your wife might be suggesting it because she thinks it will make you happy.
c Youre 01 may have been the best youve ever owned because of how you took care of it..the same situation could apply to the next truck.
d If the economy recovers substantially by next year....the prices will go up
OR the new fleet economy laws may make them harder to come by
e If affordable...keep the old for a while ,NOT trade it in..then sell it later.there seems to be a lot of guys that want it !

Admit it.....you know you want one!!!! :) :) :)
just kiddin ..
after all we all know the economy is going straight to he!!, fuel is going to be 10.00 per gallon next month,the earth is warming up so much we all will turn into crispy critters , the sun is going shut off in two billion years,the sky is falling and we are ALL DOOMED!!!!

#26 ·
Admit it.....you know you want one!!!! :) :) :)just kiddin ..

I do want one but I haven't had a car payment for 4 years. I haven't driven a 08 or 09 yet. I suspect if I do drive one I would end up buying. Selling the one I have is a good question. I see people selling 7.3 crews on the org for what seems like a lot of money. I see them for 10 to 15 k dollars. People on the org really paying that? I haven't taken the time to post picks on the org but would someone grab it for 10 to 12 thousand. It is in good shape.

#27 ·
You should honestly be able to get 10-12k. People trust 7.3s and they hold resale value pretty good.

#28 ·
I paid 14 for my 03 7.3 in February. It has a new motor and tranny to

#29 ·
Payments suck, keep the paid for truck and drive it till the wheels fall off. When mine is paid for, it's not going anywhere for a long long time. Even if it blows up after paying it off, I can afford to take a small loan and put a 12v cummins in it bc I won't have a truck payment.

That's another thing you can think about ;)

#30 ·
well judging by his sig it looks like he signed his soul over to ford.goodluck with it ,hopefully it treats you like the ol 7.3 did.

#31 ·
I had forgotten about this post. Bought a 08 FX4 brand new in July 09. My thoughts are so so on it. It has been a trouble free truck. Ton of people have complemented how it looks and it is all stock. Just turned 10 K miles this week.
What I don't like is it rides a lot rougher than my 01, mileage runs around 11 in the city compared to 14 with my 01 and it isn't as good in the snow. I would guess the snow part is the 20 inch wheels and the stock tires. That might be the ride issue also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.