6.0 05 F350 conversion to 12 valve - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2009, 08:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 05 F350 conversion to 12 valve

I hope this thread is in the right spot if not please let me know!

Ok guys i am kinda new to the site but over the last six months it has helped me in so many ways i cant even explain! The probelm i have now is i blew my head gasket at 71,000 miles. My plan now is to go to the dark side and drop a 95 12 valve in it. As much as i did like the 6.0 the cost of building high horsepower 12 valve is much more affordable and is a motor that i can work on myself (all mechanical parts) The only problem is i have a few (or maybe a lot) of questions. I have tried to ask the cummins boys on the other forums but they dont seem to want to play so i thought i would give it a shot here and see if anyone has any imput. My number one question is a cooling fan. I talked to FordCummins (i live in Montana so they are only a couple hundred miles away) about the swap i am going to buy a lot of the parts from them for the conversion but one of the things they do not sell or make for an 05 F350 is an electric cooling fan. I am told if you mount the 12v to the ford ZF6 tranny in the stock position you will need to have and electric fan for it to fit. I have searched and searched trying to find one that will bolt onto the ford radiator and i cant seem to find anything. They all stop at 03. Has anyone put and electric fan in a 6.0 and if so where did you get it and do they make one that will just bolt on? Or maybe the one for the 03 would bolt on i dont know? The other big question is how will the ZF6 hold up to higher horsepower? I have a lot more questions but i will see if i can get these answerd first. Sorry i dont mean to write a book just trying to get the project flowing! Any input would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2009, 08:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

How much power are you wanting? daily driver?
Old 04-02-2009, 08:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to 03f250stroke
as far as i know they do not sell the fan for the 6.0 i have search for it. a few guys have just took the 7.3 electric fans and bent some tabs and it worked fine.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:32 PM
wriott

Cant help you on the fan question but i may be able to help you on the 12 Valve performance questions if you have any.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:45 PM
one day at a time

I know a couple Canadian boys who've got flex a lite electric fans on their 6.0's. Not sure how they rigged them up though.

and do you want a high HP play truck or is the truck still going to serve as a daily driver/tow mobile??? If its the latter I'd go for the CR route over the 12v.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It will still be driven on the street but not as a daily driver. I want to put it in the sled pulls and will probably run it down the strip from time to time. I have a list of things on the way. DDP Stage 4 injectors ARP 12mm head studs (wondering if i should have went with the 14mm but running out of money), 60lb valve springs, and a BD-Power Injection pump that is +300 horse. I will also be putting a set of twins on it but not sure what turbos i will use just yet. Any sugjestions? Looks like i will prob just have to make the 7.3 fan work.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to 03f250stroke
not to sound like a d!ck but you are looking to do a complete motor swap...the fan is the least of your worries..i assume you have done your homework..but you already ordered injectors, injection pump...you should have thought what turbo would work for what you want to do..i dont sled pull, nor know much about it. and know even less about a 12v.

the 7.3 fan will work and has worked before. good luck on your swap man
Old 04-02-2009, 09:26 PM

A CR is a better choice if you want power and daily driver. A 500-600hp 12v is a hot runnin engine.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:49 AM
wriott

Quote:
Originally Posted by SodaPop View Post
It will still be driven on the street but not as a daily driver. I want to put it in the sled pulls and will probably run it down the strip from time to time. I have a list of things on the way. DDP Stage 4 injectors ARP 12mm head studs (wondering if i should have went with the 14mm but running out of money), 60lb valve springs, and a BD-Power Injection pump that is +300 horse. I will also be putting a set of twins on it but not sure what turbos i will use just yet. Any sugjestions? Looks like i will prob just have to make the 7.3 fan work.
Yup you want the 14MM studs and you ARE going to want to fire ring the block. Putting twins on it will be way more than the headgasket and studs will be able to handle. are you going with a used 12 valve or getting a fresh rebuilt or rebuilding it yourself??
Old 04-03-2009, 06:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The motor has 98,000 on it right now. As far as the head studs and fire rings im a little torn as to what to do there. I have two friends and know of one other 12v in town that are running twins all pushing at least 60lbs of boost. Two of them have the 14mm head studs with a stock head gasket and have not yet had any porblems. The other he is still running 12mm with stock head gasket and he hasnt had a problem. I dont doubt that the 14mm should be used but im still not to sure about the fire ringing. I have a very good friend of mine that has a 01 24v that is fire ringed and has blown the head gasket twice. First was probably do to the head warping or was possibly warped before not sure. It seems to me like putting the fire ring in without milling the head and block kinda defeats the purpose. It seems like it would lessen the clamping serface of the head gasket by more than double. I am not an experienced mechanic by any means but i have heard a lot of horror storys about the fireringed heads. Do you have any info for me that i should know. Maybe i sound like a complete idiot for saying all of this i could just have the wrong idea. What dose everyone else think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.