painting the frame and axles - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2009, 03:09 PM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
painting the frame and axles

Has anyone painted the frame on their truck and maybe their axles too? Mine has the typical northern rust and i want to clean it up. I already have some of this kbs stuff for my oil pan. Stop Rust - Preferred 4 to 1 over POR-15 - Gas Tank Sealer - KBS Coatings - RustSeal in Colors I am thinking about getting their frame kit. This stuff seems like the best bet cause you can go right over rust without having to blast it all off. Brushing it on looks like its time consuming, maybe not though. Spraying is nice, but it gets particles everywhere. I would just like to hear of some ideas from everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2009, 03:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I never got that fancy with mine. When it gets to looking bad, I just grab a can of black spray paint and go at it. It doesn't last too long, a couple months but it looks good for a while and cheap. I just do the parts I can see, maybe a half can worth. But then again we don't get the rust like you guys do. On my mustang when I was restoring it I did the underneath with truck bed liner and it worked good, will work on the rust too, as long as it isn't flaky.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:52 PM

i used Eastwood's rust encapsulator:

Eastwood Co. - Rust Encapsulator

I didn't spray anything over top of it (as recommended) but it's still survived two years of gravel roads and really salty winters. Cheap and effective
Old 03-21-2009, 03:59 PM

I thought about trying the stuff that just turns rust black. Its spray on stuff. I just might end up using that instead. A lot cheaper and easier to apply. I just don't want it to look cheap or like an asian kid did it so its multi colored.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:01 PM

Did you spray it or brush that eastwood stuff on? See i wish kbs had spray cans. The eastwood stuff look like good stuff that you can spray.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:15 AM

did you go with the kbs? im looking for a sealer that is simialar to the ruff finish that ford puts on. i bought a black spray paint and it looks like crap because some of the ruffer spots and then there are spots that are worn three so it has a really shinny finish. the leave springs look great though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.