Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Crazy Glow Plug Application Question...

815 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  harrys91rs 
#1 ·
I recently took over a position at work where after 14 years of playing with water related fire-protection devices, I now get to play with fire... mixed with water... :)

Part of my job new is to light heptane fueled fires that range from anywhere between 75kW and 2500kW in size... Once lit, I conduct fire sprinkler tests where I record water collection data... ANYHOW... The way they have ignited these fires over many years is to light a propane torch which has a 8-foot long copper tube on the end and reaching into the heptane spray...

After researching glow plugs due to a recent issue with my 2001 F350 I came across this video,
YouTube - 2000 F250 7.3 Powerstroke Glow Plug
which got me thinking today...

How would a glow plug like that shown above react with getting hit with water spray?

My idea is to install two or three glow plugs near the heptane nozzles... Thus, I would remotely (safely inside the control room) turn on the glow plugs, getting them hot, and then hit the main heptane switch... Once the heptane ignites my test fire, I'd turn the glow plugs off... However, within 10 seconds or less the glow plugs will be hit with water from the fire sprinklers...

What will happen?
Will the glow plugs essentially self destructed from the water?? :confused:

See less See more
#2 ·
LOL, thats my youtube account!! Sounds like a pretty cool job you have there. Not sure what would happen to the glow plugs being hit with lots of water. My guess is that it could crack or possibly weaken the metal, not sure tho. I wouldn't use them in an engine after you did that!

#3 ·
hahaha, there's no plans for that... I guess since I have a spare set, I'll just wire one up and hit it with a water hose and see what happens... I'm going to assume it'll crack like all heck...

I'll post some pix from work tomorrow night... Got a few fires tomorrow to test... :woot:

#4 ·
i think it will work for a bit, then the GPs will start to get brittle from the extreme hot-cold..

just my thoughts

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.