Diesel Question but not truck related. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2009, 08:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dbu8554 Send a message via Yahoo to dbu8554
Diesel Question but not truck related.

Alright guys, here is the deal I have a 67 galaxie 4 door for anyone thats not into the classics its a full size full frame car lots of engine space.

Yes im talking about that I had planned for a 460 at about 500 HP and was going to lighten up the car as much as I could along with other things to get it to be efficient so I could reach a goal of 25 MPG highway..

EFI was planned Overdrive was planned, much was planned..

Then tonight a buddy suggested why not put a powerstroke in there.

Well I didnt have a good answer I know on my buddies 02 F250 4x4 he gets really good MPG for the weight and all things considered.

Another buddy had his 02 powerstroke truck till it hit 400k (highway miles) and it was running great until then..

But I dont know much about diesels I mean I know how they work but I know every ford v8 like the back of my hand but not the diesels so time to get schooled?

I did find out that the 7.3 and the powerstroke 7.3 are two different engines.

I know the 6.0 is different then the 7.3 and I think the 6.4 is just a bigger version of the 6.0 in engine displacement that is.

That is all I know....

What ones make the most power stock?

What are the dimensions of all three engines?

What are the weights?

I heard the 6.0 is complete crap is this true?

Main goal for the car is reliability and MPG I believe a diesel would be able to get me both of those.

Out of the engines listed what where the different automatic transmission options 4 speeds only or where there 5 speeds..

Anything else you could tell me would be helpful also weight of the transmission and dimensions or at least relative size compared to a c6/AOD/4r70w whatever your familiar with would be awesome thanks alot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2009, 06:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I don't think I have ever seen a PowerStroke swapped into a car.

A common diesel swap into cars is the 4bt Cummins. It is a 4 cylinder version of the 12 Valve Cummins. There was a video on YouTube of a fellow who swapped one in his wife's Durango, and turned the power up a little bit. With the 5spd tranny backing it, he averaged 34mpg city/hwy driving. I don't think you will be more efficient or reliable than that.

If you are set on a PowerStroke, the most reliable engine is the 7.3, and that is the one I would go for. It would make all the power you would ever ant in a car.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Send a message via AIM to dbu8554 Send a message via Yahoo to dbu8554
Id like to keep it in the family meaning ford engines granted ford does not make them its close enough for me, anyone know the dimentions and such on these things what kinda MPG you can get on lets say a 7.3 stripped out F250 (meaning light) just curious car weighs in at 4000 right now im guessing 4500 once I put the 7.3 there in place of the 390 I got now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.