Canadian or US F350 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2014, 03:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Canadian or US F350

Hi folks

Maybe that sounds strange, but i live in germany. When let my next f350 be imported, i will have the choice between the import from canada or the usa.
Canadian imports are always a little bit more expensive after all than usa imports.

What are the differences between a F350 from Canada and a F350 from USA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2014, 04:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I dont think there would be any diffrence. Both trucks would be made in Kentucky USA so Id say were ever you get a better deal from go that route.
How well does a f350 blend in over there? Does she stick out like a sore thumb?
Old 06-22-2014, 04:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

What does it cost to ship something like that?
Old 06-22-2014, 05:10 AM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I would agree and am also just as curious
Old 06-22-2014, 05:30 AM
Emergency Services

The odometer and speedometer will be in kilometers. Not sure if the emissions will be different. I know the ones exported to Mexico are emissions deleted.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The pure shipping is around 500$ to the harbor, ~3500$ RoRo for the sea freight and ~500$ harbor to importer. And 500$ for the insurance.
Mexican vehicles are out of any possibility. Emissions etc are not convertible for a good price.
Vehicle price + 5000$ transport + 10% customs + 19% added value taxe.
Conversion odo and speedo to kph is around 1000$ here. You can safe the money by buying a canadian vehicle. But canadian vehicles are around 3000$ more expensive, because they have higher prices in canada.
Than you have to spend around 2500$ for the rest of the vehicle to get it german streetlegal. But i'm wondering why a navi conversion is only a the have mones for the canadian vehicle. Are the canadian navigationsystems less integrated into the vehicle? And why are the canadian vehicles heavier than the usa? Actuell F350 up to 300lbs?
But it could be at least over 7000$, if the technical survey service need to make a special vehicle survey, if you are the first one with exactly this vehicle in germany.
Or you want a special vehicle permission. increasing the GCWR or changing the topspeed over the general accreditation for the vehicle.
For the F350, for example, you can get a special oversized passenger car registration. If you don't want to get a registration as a lorrie.
We don't only differ vehicles by its use, commercial or private, we differ them also on the GCWR. Inculding their speedlimits. Normally every vehicle over 7716lbs are private or commercial lorries. Than you have a speedlimit of 50mph. But if you make sure that you can use it only as a private vehicle, less than 8 seats and less cargo space than passenger space, and its build for a higher speed, axles, brakes, engine, rims and tires, you can get a registration for a oversized passenger vehicle and get it free of any weightbased speedlimit. But you still need a driver license for a vehicle with more than 7716lbs.

At least its pretty simple, if you life with it.
Vehicles with 4 wheels and less than 7716lbs, you need diverlicense B.
Vehicles with 4 or more wheels, with more than 7716lbs but less than 16534lbs, you need driverlicense C1.
Vehicles with 4 or more wheels, with more than 16534lbs, you need dirver license C.
If you want to tow a trailer, you need the additional E license. BE, C1E and CE.
But only if this vehicles have less than 8 seats. If they have more, you need D1 up to 16534lbs and D for over 16534lbs.

And thats a tip for all of you, that want to visit europe. If you don't have any commercial licenses over there in the USA, i know you can drive the biggest RV's etc, you are reduce to license B & BE here.

Last edited by Tac; 06-22-2014 at 07:19 AM.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:43 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac View Post
But i'm wondering why a navi conversion is only a the have mones for the canadian vehicle. Are the canadian navigationsystems less integrated into the vehicle?
??? You lost me here.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 06-22-2014, 07:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You can't imput any european adress into a us navigation system. Our adresses have a different form. No US navigation will find any european adress even if you have the right maps.
To convert a US navigation system on F350 to european norms, will cost around 1500-2500$. A canadian system is around 750-1000$. But i don't know why.

And the phrase should be:
But i'm wondering why a navigation system conversion costs only the half money for the canadian vehicles than for US navigation systems. Are the canadian navigationsystems less integrated into the vehicle?
Thick fingers, small smartphone and autofillup function. Sorry.
I just can't understand, why the conversion (new software or complete new system) of the Ford OEM navigation system has different prices between a canadian OEM Ford navi and a USA OEM Ford navi. Shouldn't the systems be the same?

Last edited by Tac; 06-22-2014 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What about the corrosion protection? Canada isn't really a sunshine state and really cold in winter. US cars get nearly always a complete corrosion protection set up here. Underbody, frame and all hollows.
In germany 60% of the year is raintime.
Are the cooling systems the same? You know, germany hasn't a speed limit on the autobahn.
What about the gov speedlimiters? Have both one? Where are their limits?
Old 06-23-2014, 07:11 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If I recall correctly the reason there is a difference between the US and Canadaian NAV software is because the US NAV info does not show anything in the northern part of the provinces and territories. As for undercoating and rust proofing it is a locally applied option here. For coolant I run 70% for the maximum boiling point, but don't go higher than that. There's a PCM controlled speed limit, no governor, of I believe around 180 kph. Most tuners can take the speed limiter off but keep in mind your tires are rated for that max speed anyway, although I've had my Excursion up to 210 kph before I chickened out and backed off because when a 9200+ lb vehicle starts feeling light and floaty it's a very strange feeling.

Last edited by Term3; 06-23-2014 at 07:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.