Considering a new truck...6.0L vs. 6.4L - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2014, 07:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Considering a new truck...6.0L vs. 6.4L

So my kids are older now and the wife no longer uses the Excursion as a daily driver, so I was thinking that it may be time to sell it and go back to looking for my dream rig. So I am very familiar with a 6.0L and what it takes to make them reliable and to build power with one. I am fairly ignorant on the 6.4's as far as any problems they have had, reliability of the high pressure fuel system, and the power potential of the truck. I see a lot of people talking about 150-300+ HP tunes, but I don't know how that effects the durability of the truck. I have a little experience with a 6.4, my dad bought a '08 F550 with a ZF6 transmission new in the fall of '08. He went through 2 injectors by 60K, and 2 HPFP between 100K-120K miles. The first HPFP may been due to subpar filters, he just used what ever Carquest sold. I don't work for him any longer, so I no longer perform his maintenance. He isn't a mechanic, nor does he want to be. He just didn't realize how sensitive these newer diesels can be. I don't know if it matters on the 6.4L, but I know on the factory 6.0L fuel system it is Racor or nothing when it comes to fuel filters. But back on track that is my only experience with a 6.4L.

On to the truck:

I want to purchase either a 2005-07 6.0L or 2008-10 6.4L F350 4x4 CCLB Dually.

Fully loaded Lariat package (sunroof, tow command, power rear slider, clearance lights, etc.).

My goals for either truck will be to put down around 5-600HP at the wheels that is actually usable for towing. I know this isn't a new concept for either truck. I am starting to lean towards a 6.4L because it would save me a lot of retro fit work to a '05-'07 truck to get it the way I want. I also really prefer the '08-'10 interiors. My biggest hesitation is the CR injection system. Between my father's problems (self induced or not) and all of the problems I have seen with other CR engines (VW TDI), I am not sure I want to gamble on one. Though I already have two gasoline CR vehicles ('13 F150 EB, '14 Focus ST EB) so what is one more right?

I would appreciate someone to point me in a direction to common problems with the 6.4L and what it takes to "Bullet Proof" one beyond studs. As I didn't see any stickies like we have in the 6.0L area here on the forums. Sorry for the long post.

Cheers,

Brew
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2014, 07:49 PM

Also I completely understand that a tranny build will be required at some point at my goal power level. So leave that off of the "Bullet Proof" list please.

Cheers,

Brew
Old 06-20-2014, 03:59 PM

I missed this thread in the 6.4L section earlier.

General Mods

Cheers,

Brew
Old 06-21-2014, 04:43 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If your lookin to biuld big power then the 6.4 is the way to go. They are beast's for sure. The fuel mileage is not the best.
I do love my 6.0 and I have put a lot of time and money into it to get it were it is today. And I would not worry about hooking onto most anything and pulling it were ever. But the down side with my truck is Ill never get back out what I put in.
I also liked how much truck I could get for the $$$ with the 6.0 because of the bad rap.
But if my truck went away today I just might be swayed to go with the 6.4.......maybe.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:48 AM

based on your desires for 500-600hp that can tow? get the 6.4 and don't look back. you can make that a tune and exhaust
Old 06-22-2014, 06:40 PM

Well I will have to do some research on how manageable EGT's are with just a tune. I figure I will probably have to to a studs, ported intake, intercooler, possibly intercooler piping/intake elbow, billet wheels if Adrian gets around to making some, air intake, exhaust w/deletes, and a tuner. Then start saving money for a built transmission. Looking at max GCVWR I think I will be stepping up to an F450.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:15 AM

you should definitely do some research, because at this point, it sounds like you're talking about a 6.0

you don't need studs, ported intake, intercooler, intercooler piping/elbow, or billet wheels to make 550hp and be able to tow with a 6.4. nor would you need to save for a built transmission

all you need is a tuner, pipe, and air filter

be prepared for commercial insurance if you go to a 450
Old 06-23-2014, 10:41 AM

I'm in the same boat of buying a new truck (hopefully today if all goes well) and I'm not even considering the 6.0. I was a former 6.0 owner and as far as sound and power I loved that 6.0 but the problems came around 30k miles and didn't stop. On the same note I was also not big into forum nor was much research/ fixes available back on the 6.0 back then. I had a box crap tune that wasn't custom to the truck, didn't know about egr delets and all the good stuff of headbolts and what not.

I am looking at a 6.4 right now and it's night and day difference in engine sound and performance. Without a tune it seems remarkably faster from what I remeber about the 6.0.

That said there is a lot of great precaution/bulletproofing items for the 6.0 now so I'm sure they are more reliable. I've lerned my lesson though this time and I'm getting this diesel and keeping it mainly stock or have a mild custom tune for economy.

I kinda look at it as however many additional horses you plan to add to these diesel plan on putting, $50-100per each HP gained over stock, away for repairs. Trans, turbo's heads, whatever you name it, it's not cheap on a diesel. You wanna run a lot of power be ready to spend a lot of money (or good warranty) as well...THERE IS NO WY AROUND THAT PART...lol That goes for any performance vehicle for that matter!
Old 06-23-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on diesel View Post
you don't need studs, ported intake, intercooler, intercooler piping/elbow, or billet wheels to make 550hp and be able to tow with a 6.4. nor would you need to save for a built transmission

all you need is a tuner, pipe, and air filter
I hope you are right, I haven't found much on what people are seeing for EGT's. I started a thread over in the towing section. I prefer not to lift when I hit a grade just to control EGT's. I have some fairly long pulls that are a couple miles at 6-8%. I usually tow at about 65MPH if the crosswinds permit. I don't know if it is reasonable to expect these trucks to maintain with an 18K pound load or not.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:05 PM

Well after reviewing some propaganda on fleet Ford's site I saw that the Tow Boss packaged 06-07 F350's are rated for 18,100 LBS towing. Which should get me by even with aftermarket bumpers. So that will be what I look for. The biggest thing that finally shied me away from a 6.4 was the fuel economy, doesn't seem like there is much you can do to make it decent. I am not ruling one out, but it would have to be a good deal. Same for a 6.7L, if it was the right deal, I would pick one up. Thanks for the responses and hopefully I can find my new truck this fall.

Cheers,

Brew

Last edited by Brew_WY; 06-26-2014 at 05:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.