7.3 and 6.4 questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2014, 09:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 and 6.4 questions

I am in the market for a new truck. I have been looking at the 7.3 and 6.4. I have some questions pertaining to both.
The 6.4 first. I know there have been problems with them. I also know that really we only hear from owners when there are problems, not so much when the owners are happy. I am having trouble determining the majority, whether it is people with problems. I have also heard that there were less problems with the later models such as the '10 6.4. How reliable are the later model trucks. I live in Maryland, correct me if I'm wrong, but all truck 2008 and newer are subject to emissions and all emissions equipment must be as it was from the factory. I know the 6.4 is much better w/o all the emissions equipment but is there anyway i can get around this law or make it reliable with the emissions intact.

now for the 7.3. we all know how reliable the engine is. one concern is the vehicle that I'm upgrading from is a model year 1999, so i would be paying for a vehicle which is only a couple years newer. now as long as it will last i don't mind. I'm looking for something in the range of 75000 miles or so. knowing that it is older technology but how much of a towing capacity difference is there between say a 7.3 and 6.4.

any and all advice is helpful.. I'm sure some of these questions have been addressed before, so not to beat a dead horse but if there is a forum someone can direct me to that would also be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2014, 09:57 AM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Welcome to the org

On the 7.3 good luck finding one with low mileage, pretty sure the max gcwr is gonna be 20k

On the 6.4 you could remove the emissions stuff in a manor that makes it easily able to be put back on, but to run without it you would need a tuner to make it run without the components, and that's where a lot of the money is too, either truck will pull anything but the 6.4 has a lot more power, I don't own a 6.4 however so not keen on reliability and endurance but I see them with high mileage everywhere
Old 06-07-2014, 10:34 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
whats wrong with your 99? and 75k is going to be hard, i usually calculate 15k a year for mileage x 11 (2003) and 165k would be the national average for a 7.3, so finding one with 75k is going to be hard and expensive with no gains over your 99(probably be in the 20k range for a 4x4), you would be more in the positive in refreshing/rebuilding your 99 and putting a nice bts/john woods trans in it if its auto.

as for the 6.4, removing the emissions falls under federal law, so any state can enforce it, so even if you travel outside of Maryland and say go to another state, they could impound your truck if they chose to(worse case scenario)/fine you. (something to keep in mind)

as for bulletproofing the 6.4l it looks like the same as the 6.0, head-studs and egr, which there are upgrades that keep the egr intact, as for the cat/dpf delete, i didn't say to do it, but you can either gut it, or make it removable and reinstall it for your emissions test(i know a ton of people that do that). if you gut it(will need a tuner), then it will pass visual, but if your state does more than a opacity test it might fail emissions test.

but again this falls under federal law, so it is at your own risk and neither me nor this forum is at fault if you decide to break it.

this is one of the reasons i love the 7.3, the only emissions on it are the pcv on the passenger valve cover, and no cat, so as long as im not blow black smoke from it, i can pretty much do anything i want to it.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
how easy might it be to remove the erg and dpf and then reinstall it for emissions. is it as simple as putting blocker plates and removing dpf and a tune, then taking blocker plates, installing dpf and putting stock tune back?
Old 06-07-2014, 07:45 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMDcRAB View Post
how easy might it be to remove the erg and dpf and then reinstall it for emissions. is it as simple as putting blocker plates and removing dpf and a tune, then taking blocker plates, installing dpf and putting stock tune back?

cat/dpf

those show the 6.4l exhaust. found images on google
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.