Stay 7.3 or go 6.0 ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2009, 07:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stay 7.3 or go 6.0 ?

So, I currently own a 00 Crew Cab 7.3 truck...and I am starting to have the itch for a newer package, ie- better paint, cleaner interior, more pep, yada yada yada, and my question is should I let a 00 7.3 truck out of my fingers and move on, or will I likely regret it? Im trying desperately not to just go cummins. I like the acceleration of the 6.0s but I just question having problems..and I cant afford the big mods it takes for a 7.3 to keep up at the stop lights

Should I toughen up and keep a working 7.3 truck with 165,000 or give in and sell?

Last edited by 00SVTStrike; 01-04-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2009, 07:31 PM

You will get all kinds of opinions. I think it really depends on your drivng habits, needs, and $$$. I would love to have a 6.0 for the reasons that you mentioned, but I dont have the money and I just love the simplicity of the 7.3
Old 01-04-2009, 07:32 PM

Keep it and just recondition it.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:34 PM
Raging Lunatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
They are not as bad as they are made out to be, look around and if you find one you like don't be afraid to buy it, just do the usual homework on the one you choose.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005F250 View Post
Keep it and just recondition it.
Thats an option I suppose. Its just not as quick and easy as a sell and buy type deal. None of the newer truck really over excite me, I just want "a little more"...classic huh?
Old 01-04-2009, 07:39 PM

Update your grill and get a good chip maybe one of those overlays for the dash to give it a different appearance, new radio freshen up the interior. If you sell it and buy a 6.0 and it lets you down your going to be upset.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:57 PM

I would update whether its a 6.0 or a 6.4..... Its a buyers market go for it you will love the newer motors once you get in one
Old 01-04-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00SVTStrike View Post
Thats an option I suppose. Its just not as quick and easy as a sell and buy type deal. None of the newer truck really over excite me, I just want "a little more"...classic huh?
I would just recondition it. The next truck I'll get will be a 7.3 and I'll recondition it to my liking. I would never want to buy a 6.0 again. The only way I would operate/drive another 6.0 is if someone else is paying for the repairs and if another vehicle is available. That's how my truck has worked out. Last year I put 15K miles on the 88 my sig because of the 05. And the 05 is starting out 2009 with issues. You know the 7.3 is desired when Ambulance Company's are reconditioning there 7.3 powered units rather than buying new one's.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005F250 View Post
I would just recondition it. The next truck I'll get will be a 7.3 and I'll recondition it to my liking. I would never want to buy a 6.0 again. The only way I would operate/drive another 6.0 is if someone else is paying for the repairs and if another vehicle is available. That's how my truck has worked out. Last year I put 15K miles on the 88 my sig because of the 05. And the 05 is starting out 2009 with issues. You know the 7.3 is desired when Ambulance Company's are reconditioning there 7.3 powered units rather than buying new one's.
This is EXACTLY what holds me back.... 6.0 owners telling me to stay put.. Thanks for an unbiased answer.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:21 PM
International Threat

that's not an unbiased answer.

anyhow... if you get a 6.0 and you want it reliable... egr delete and studs. do those two and you're pretty good to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.