2005 Super Duty Coolant Resevior Intermittent Leak!? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By kinnisoj
  • 2 Post By kinnisoj

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2014, 12:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2005 Super Duty Coolant Resevior Intermittent Leak!?

Hi Guys, I noticed a very slight dripping under my coolant resevior at the lower hose near the clamp. I kept my eye on it and it never did it again. I live in San Diego and we had a few tripple digit heat days already this month. Well, came out of the grocery store on one of those hot days and the entire bottle had dumped on the ground. I added enough to get me home and it did not leak on the way. Then, when the weather cooled off, not even wet under the tank. I thought I'd pull the bottle and that long hose assembly but while at my local auto parts, the counter person came out to take a look and thought it could just be the O-Ring in the cap! We noted dried fluid around the filler hole threads at the cap so I cleaned that area and under the tank and hoses and it is so far holding... I don't like to just leave stuff and planning to go RVing soon with my Truck Camper. I guess it wouldn't hurt to pick up a new cap. Anyone had this problem...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2014, 01:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Welcome to the site! Our caps are known to fail. heck I replace mine yearly. Cheap and easy insurance.
Do you have any kind of a monitoring system to watch your temps? You might be having other issues and if your just using your dash guages you wont even know.
john galt and Xretsim like this.

Last edited by kinnisoj; 05-29-2014 at 01:49 PM. Reason: added to it
Old 05-29-2014, 02:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Coolant Res Cap & Adding Monitoring Gauges!?

Hey thanks for the quick respnse and for the welcome. Well, for sure I'll pick up a cap and as I am planning to go full time RVing with my TC on board, I have been putting $$$ into my truck as it will be the heart of the matter where my domicile is concerned.

These are the items I'd like your recommedations on:

1. Tranny Oil Cooler: What type and who should install it or could I do that?
2. Monitoring: I've seen guys with the gauge packages for instance on side post of the windshild?
I assume this is what you refered to? Do those installations call for removal of the handle we have on the post? If so, are there other choices of aftermarket gauge placemant because I like that big HD handle?
3. Anything else you would recommend for a guy looking to make his truck as bullet proof as it can be?
Really appreciate your comments and suggestions.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:08 PM

The #1 thing that the 6.0 needs is a good monitoring system. This can be as simple as the scanguage-ScanGauge II Digital Data Monitor
and you could also check out the Edge-http://http://www.bulletproofdiesel...._p/6000079.htm

Their is also set ups that use your phone as the screen but I haven't messed with them so I try not to discuss them one way or another.
These are very simple plug n play set up that you can mount with a suction cup on the windshield so no you don't have to loose your handle.
The bad thing with the 6.0 is that the truck can be running just fine,not showing any signs of trouble. And then major problems and your on the side of the road lookin for your Good Sam road side towing card...
With a monitor you can actually see the true temps of the motor and see if your in trouble or not. You can also pull up trouble codes,and clear them. The edge will tell you when to change your oil and help you with your mpg's.
Last summer we were heading up to Yellowstone NP. Well at about 2 weeks before we took off the truck was running great. Then on a trip over the mountain my Edge started to alarm a low voltage warning. It would only happen when the truck was idling down the road after about 10-15 seconds while going down hill. The gauges on the truck looked just fine. I pulled the alternator out,had it tested and found that yes it was starting to fail.
I don't know what a alternator would of cost me in Yellowstone, or how much the tow would of been....but for me that was the day my Edge paid itself back.
john galt and Xretsim like this.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

6.0 Monitoring/Cont:

Kinn, That's a boat load of indispensible information. I totally understand the logic here and this is just what I was wanting to learn about so thanks a million!
I have an odd situation here in my home right now. I had planned to leave for the desert in Jan this year but the home sale got very conveluted as they sometimes can. I am able to use my pension checks for building up my rig so will get the Edge.

One thing I neglected to mention: the EGR factor!! I am aware of the upgrades to the round coolers but have yet to take care of that. I know the 6.0 are known to be finicky engines at best but my reading has told me that if you make it past 100K you probably got a good one. I'm at just under 150 at this writing.
Issues I have experienced were as follows:
1. Most annoying was the intermittent "no start" that eventually was repaired by my local Ford dealership.
Still don't understand the part they replaced but man was I glad to see that problem go away.
2. Would be comical if it were not so serious ::: EGR "Gunk!" Started blowing black smoke and loosing more and more power.. folks behind me were moving over because they couldn't see where they were going!
Like a blown engine at NASCAR for craps sake. Finally did some research and learned how to pull and clean the top mounted unit and that always fixed it. Did that a couple of times and in peeking down into the cooler assembly, could see what looked like half an inch deep black sludge. So it is still in there and I worry about that. Ford was no help at all with that one... I think they know it's a major snafu in the 6.0 design and just don't want to talk about it..
3. Batteries: My bad on this one. I learned the hard way that these batts don't last forever and also must be monitored. I pulled all the lugs, cleaned the posts and checked all cells with the old Hydrometer and topped them up. These two already have one cell in each batt with a reading of "on the line" green to white so I'll be watching them. They are only just under a year old...

Looking back I guess that's not so bad really from some of the horror stories I've read here and there on this engine. So I guess the main question I'll conclude with is regarding the EGR Cooler? Just upgrade it eh!!?
Old 05-29-2014, 06:55 PM

Don't sweat to bad about the black gunk in your intake. What you have going on here is the crank case vent blowing junk back into the motor. Have you ever seen a semi idling and below the motor you see that fog of exhaust blowing out? That is the crank case venting. Well with our trucks they felt that it would be best to reroute this mess back into the intake and reburn it.....ya I don't get it. We as truck owners try very hard to supply the truck with clean,fresh and cool air. Then the FORD guru's plumb in hot,used dirty exhaust right back in the motor??? I was once told to run a hose through your shorts up to your nose and go for a jog and see how you like it!!
So what your gonna want to look into is called the CCV mod. Just type that in the search up above and you will find all sorts of info on how to do it. Very easy and can be done for under $20. Your truck will thank you.
A egr delete is a great thing is you can get away with it in your state. The other route is the upgraded egr cooler from like Bullet Proof. But what I would do is pull your egr valve and just make sure that gunk in the intake isn't wet. That would be a sign of a failing egr cooler.
The cool thing about these truck is that there is a ton of stuff that the average person can do that will truly pay off . They are very DIY friendly rigs. Go on you tube and search testing 6.0 ficm. Great info right their that can save you a boat load of cash....
Old 05-29-2014, 07:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The "Fikum" Factor!

You know I totally forgot about that fix. It has been a long time but the ficm did fail and I put down a chunk for it and one other thing. As the story goes, the tranny temp sensor had failled so we got the light show in the dash! Gauge goes dead, warnings sound and then the "Tow/Haul" light would go crazy too and sometimes at low speeds, it would actually engage all by itself. Well I went to a private diesel mech in El Cajon near my home and he was exteremely knowledgable but his people and business skills were nonexistant! Very expensive as well. He stuck in the ficm but the sensor he replaced failed again in abut 200 miles! I had Ford do another one and it is holding. So that makes another 2 items on my list of fixes doesn't it! Tell you what, my truck is a standard cab XL only because the DA's at the dealership couldn't find me an EXT. (You know, with only 2 doors on it like a truck should have!!!) So I installed the carpeting and power windows and locks. Anyhow, it is lighter than all those extra doors and such and man when the pressure is just right, it is one a_ _ kick rocket ride.. Fastest pickup I've ever driven and that's a fact! Even now with the TC on it, still can take care of all those little sh_t box throw-away "cars" who think they should be in front of the big lumbering camper...

So per your message, I think the gunk was "wet" so I'll pull the valve again and let you know what I find.
I checked out the super cool Edge for this truck and have to say... Got to have it soon! Just watching the MPG should save a bundle in gas alone..

I'll check out the CCV Mod. Also, I think I'll stop by the service lane down at the Ford Dealer in the morning and ask the service writer to stick this one inch plastic tube I've brought him down his shorts and up his nose and see if that helps him to understand the situation.

Thanks again for all the great stuff... Glad I joined this forum...

PS... Does everyone have to go through that dehumanizing "Robot Test" after each post or is that just for me? I have to do it about 10 times before it likes my answer... VERY ANNOYING!
Old 05-29-2014, 08:37 PM
Premium Member

Kinnisoj, has you on the right track here SO i will simply say
welcome to the org and enjoy your truck
The Following User Says Thank You to john galt For This Useful Post:
kinnisoj (05-30-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.