How long do PSD's last? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2008, 11:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question How long do PSD's last?

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum. I am new to PSD's and their capabilities and etc. I am currently looking at a 99' F250 PSD 7.3L 4x4 with 186k miles on it and it looks very well maintained. No rust/Dents with added features such as a brush guard, brand new tires, lifted a few inches, and it is a 1 owner with most service records available showing he took pretty well care of it. He traded it in for a newer diesel and the dealer is asking 9700 dollars for it. KBB shows it higher but I am mostly curious beings I have never owned a diesel, or a reputable Ford PSD, how long is the life expectancy of a 7.3L PSD Engine? I know around the 200k Mark is the breaking point in most gasoline fed engines, and it makes me wonder if it'd be alright to step into 9700 and have only a few thousand miles of worthiness. I came back to ford after having a DSM that has done nothing but fall apart. I had a ranger back in school that had 300k miles on it and still ran like a champ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2009, 12:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well we run trucks at work with over 250k miles on them if thats any indicator, my truck has 130k my old truck was at 355k before a cam bearing failed on it, its still on the road with a new owner BTW, all 7.3s. Its a damn fine engine if taken care of properly and you can mod it to your hearts content since it is a fairly straight forward design. 9700 is definitely worth it in my eyes.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah I'm in love with it. I'm tired of the reliability of gasoline engines made out of the die-cast aluminum foil blocks. Here's a picture of it to show the actual truck.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Welcome!
A well maintain diesel should last at least 300-350k. There are some with 500k. A PSD with one owner and most of the service records can tell you alot about the truck. I have run 19 chevy trucks, 2 fords, 1 jeep, 1 minivan, a durango and about 7 cars in 18 years. I found Ford bodies hold up the best and the powerstroke is a close second behind 12 valve cummins (IMPO).
Old 01-01-2009, 12:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I personally think the 7.3 is the best PowerStroke engine out there. It's the 12 Valve of the 'Strokes. They will last well over 200K, especially if it was well maintained. I wouldn't worry about the engine. I would be more worried about the shape the drivetrain is in.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the input guys. The more and more I read about PSD's the more I grow trusting towards them. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I'll have this baby home and polished for some pictures .
Old 01-01-2009, 12:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to the2ndtinman
not trying to hijack but what would you say my pu is worth???

2000 short box extended cab 65000 miles lariat power everything brush gaurd dont mind add ons in sig i did all those except lvling kit and tires.

just wondering seeming like i got riped off!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-01-2009, 01:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm not sure, but KBB says it's around 15,000.
The KBB for the truck i'm looking at is 11,700 or something along those lines, the dealer has cut it a little bit down, I guess because of the high mileage itself.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:40 AM

Mine has 293K and running quite strong!!
Old 01-01-2009, 08:19 AM
Emergency Services

The only 7.3l that I have that broke down with a major mechanical problem happened around 320K miles. It had worn out cam bearings. It still drives though. The mechanic I took it to traded me a running '97 ambulance for the non-running F350. He ended up tracking it down to the cam bearings, and replaced it. It is running like a new truck again. I kind of want it back now. He converted the front end into a '07 Harley edition, did totally new paint, ghost flames, lift, nice tires and rims (don't know much about that sort of thing), real sharp looking for a '99. He doesn't want to sell it because it has "the good engine" in it.

Mine only broke when it did because it was a ranch work truck. I drove that thing hard, and it got seriously abused. It went through a high pressure oil pump, several transmissions, alternators, an engine fire (a truck is NOT for raking hay), front end parts out the wazoo (lifted trucks have this problem). The actual engine was solid till the cam bearings went. But that wasn't the end of the world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.