VW TDI (ALH) Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2014, 05:55 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
VW TDI (ALH) Question

It's a 2000 Golf that I bought with 172,000 miles on it back in September. It now has 193,000 miles. I bought it from non car people and had all the non car people problems with it. It also had the original fuel filter on it. I've changed the fuel filter 3 times since and since the last time at 192,000 miles it has had a hard cold start after it sits for 8 hours or so. It seems to have lost its prime at the pump (these cars have no lift pump). I've checked my connections and the clear plastic fuel line has no air bubbles. I was wondering if anyone knew if there was an air bleed somewhere on the pump. Or is this something to do with the fuel filter. It's a Chinese WIX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2014, 06:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Did you replace the the o-ring on the thermostatic t on top of the filter? If the original filter was indeed on it it could have over worked the fuel pump and you could be sucking air from the seals. Do you see air bubbles in the fuel lines after the filter? Timing belt? Hammer mod? Have you checked out tdiclub yet???
Old 05-24-2014, 10:04 AM

I put new O-rings on that came with the filter. There's no air after the filter in the clear line. I'm hoping the pump isn't weeping and losing its prime. I can't find any wet spots so I can't confirm if it is.

I've posted this question on TDI.com. They don't seem to want to answer any questions that I have. I do the searches. This question has never really been answered so I thought I'd ask. I get more help from here and V8buick.com than there anyway.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:19 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I remember a similar post on tdiclub where a guy added the bew lift pump to his fuel tank and solved his problems, ill see if i can find it if your interested.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:07 PM

I would be interested in putting in a lift pump. It beats the $1000 or so I'd need to spend on a new injector pump. This car has 193,000 on it now. I don't want to spend a whole lotta money on something that may last only another 20 or 30k.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:25 PM

ill see if i can find it, thats not alot of miles for it, alh and bew are known to last to like 500k, even with crappy maintenance alh are hard to kill
Old 05-24-2014, 02:26 PM

ALH lift pump addition, how to? - TDIClub Forums

Here u go, scroll down to post 4
Old 05-24-2014, 03:47 PM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Awesome thread even though I know it's because you are having issues. I have (well my wife has) a 2002 VW Beetle with the ALH and it's been a fun little car to wrench on. Thankfully, it hasn't given me too many issues, but I'm glad to know that there are other TDI guys over here.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:55 PM

Thanks for the link.

My wife found this car 10 miles up the road (I live in a very rural area). It was owned by non car people (meaning it got worked on when a light turned on). It's an automatic and its only getting 43mpg right now. I want to delete the egr and fiddle around with some other stuff to get the mpg up. I have a hard time working on it because it never stops moving. 43 mpg is a whole lot better than the 19mpg my truck's getting and the 15 the excursion gets.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:46 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Interesting. My wife is getting 45mpg in her Beetle and figured that's about as much as we could get. I know what you mean about the maintenance. Since we have owned it over the last year, I have:
1. Replaced the clutch and flywheel (Dual Mass Flywheel was toast) with a South Bend Stage 2 and Single Mass flywheel
2. Done the Crayola-ectomy to get rid of the crayon smell and replaced the factory sound deadening with Dynamat
3. Fixed the seat belt air bag issue
4. Upgraded the injector nozzles to Titan 520's
5. Malone Stage 2 tuning
6. Replaced all 4 glow plugs

Because we have annual emissions testing, I have to leave the EGR system alone. Keep us posted on your progress and maybe we can help you with ideas to squeeze out that last little bit of mileage. I know some folks are well over 50 mpg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.