banks in it, now what? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2008, 08:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
banks in it, now what?

Ok guys/gals.

Im new here, and I know Banks is not all that. The money was spent and there it is.

I got this setup in my truck.
Banks Big Hoss® Bundle for 99½ Ford F250/350 7.3L with Automatic Transmission - SuperTruck Essentials

I would like a little bit more umph in the truck. WHat are the bests suggestions other than, throw this out and $$$ this.

I have considered custom tuner, the chip in this thing, just sucks. THe exhaust I modified from the one in the kit, it now resides in front of the rear tires.

Also it has the bigger exhaust brake, what issues would it cause? And if their are any, what might be some suggestions on preventitive (caint spell) maint.?

I guess what I am asking here, is what in stages would you do, if it where your work truck?

Again, please dont slam me too bad guys/gals. Trying to learn here.

Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2008, 08:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If I was you I would sell the tuner and get a DP or TW. I think the intercoolers and exhaust are actually ok, it's the overated tuner that nobody likes...
Old 12-28-2008, 09:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
yah i would go with a custom tuned chip like the TW chip...

not really a whole lot more you can do to it to get more Power unless your willing to start bi g mods like turbo or injectors
Old 12-28-2008, 09:10 PM
one day at a time

The 6 gun tuner is crap IMO, but the rest of the package is actually very good quality stuff, its just overpriced as well. Get yourself a custom tuned 6 pos. chip from the vendor of your choice and it will do you wonders. Beyond that it gets real expensive real quick.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

good, strong, reliable injector/ tuner combo recommendations? I would like to read over a good tech article or two for the install. I installed all on the list of banks stuff my self, just after the complete dash rewire (dont ask). I would like to do it my self in a week end. I have a shop, with a few tools in it, just more of a metal head, less of a wrench, but willing to learn if its not to much harder than a carb rebuild. Just have not needed to do that since high school shop.

Anyway, any other deletes, that you guys might recommend for this truck? I plan to keep her for a long time,and would like to have a nice reliable hauler for the bobcat and half a gallon of ice cream.

I have been working on this truck for a while. I had two wrecks I bought to build this one. Doing what I can to make it a good work truck.

Bill
Old 12-28-2008, 09:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

garrett 38R
stage 2 injectors
and a fuel system to run the injectors

how is your trans?
Old 12-28-2008, 09:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Trans good. Have only been driving the truck for a week or less. It seems to shift just a bit rough when I get on it. I assumed it was the trans controler?

THe engine I have in this one is only showing 89,000 miles. The rest of the drive train feels good. Anything I should know?

Like I said, I am new here and learning. I have nothing against Going to the dealership other than shelling out hard earned cash (times aint as good as they were). I like to work with my hands, and dirt is my middle name.

Im a slow wrench, but Im determined and willing. I dont know all the lingo, nor buds that will work for beer. SO I am on my own.

I can make just about anything that is metal, so now time to start learning more here.

Just a good ol country boy wantin just a little more like the rest of yah.

Bill
Old 12-28-2008, 09:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by workin4my350 View Post
Trans good. Have only been driving the truck for a week or less. It seems to shift just a bit rough when I get on it. I assumed it was the trans controler?

THe engine I have in this one is only showing 89,000 miles. The rest of the drive train feels good. Anything I should know?

Like I said, I am new here and learning. I have nothing against Going to the dealership other than shelling out hard earned cash (times aint as good as they were). I like to work with my hands, and dirt is my middle name.

Im a slow wrench, but Im determined and willing. I dont know all the lingo, nor buds that will work for beer. SO I am on my own.

I can make just about anything that is metal, so now time to start learning more here.

Just a good ol country boy wantin just a little more like the rest of yah.

Bill
the stock trans is a POS... its def the weak link in the 99-03 7.3L... anything over stock power and you already reached the limites of the trans...

my sugestion is get a built trans or rebuild it yourself with upgraded parts...

easily estimate spending 3-5k for a trans
Old 12-28-2008, 09:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

If it where a stick I might consider it. I worked on a auto once,adn figured it was not my cup of tea. I have a friend that might be able to help if needed. Should I wait for it to break or will the upgrade parts be too late then?

on the garret-38, does it still have the surge issues? I have read a few post about that on a few boards.

If I get the next project I am in the running for here, I would like to do a few of these changes. The project is in Arizona, and I will have lots of trips back and forth.

Bill
Old 12-28-2008, 09:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by workin4my350 View Post
If it where a stick I might consider it. I worked on a auto once,adn figured it was not my cup of tea. I have a friend that might be able to help if needed. Should I wait for it to break or will the upgrade parts be too late then?

on the garret-38, does it still have the surge issues? I have read a few post about that on a few boards.

If I get the next project I am in the running for here, I would like to do a few of these changes. The project is in Arizona, and I will have lots of trips back and forth.

Bill
its actually rare to get surge issues with the 38R.... i have only heard of a few people that have had issues but they were also running a lot more modded engines then what your planning to do...

if it were me i would dump the money on a fully built trans first... woudl suck blowing the trans in the middle of nowhere...

then after that youll know you can throw anything to it and your good...

BTS or JW make great trans...

-Raul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.