Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

ATF Used As Fuel: Why?

2K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  RadarRider 
#1 ·
I picked up a diesel magazine that had an article about a guy who uses used ATF as his primary fuel source. I've learned from this article ATF doesn't burn as fully as diesel, SVO, or WVO burns & is actually risky. In this article, all the guy does is collect used ATF, runs it through a 3-micron filter, mixes 90% ATF/10% diesel, puts it in the tank, & then adds cetane booster. The article also goes on to say there hasn't been any real testing done with ATF being used as a primary fuel, ATF is not a legal road fuel, causes ash deposits & hydrocarbons, & could still hold the possibility of metal shavings getting into the engine along with another possibility of brake fluid, anti-freeze, or even gas to end up in the fuel tank. How can anyone benefit from this? Why would they bother running an article like this, even? Yes, it's an alternative fuel, but @ a cost. Not so much in the sense of money, but just playing Russian Roulette with a fuel alternative that could ruin your rig. What's everyone else's take?

#2 ·
I agree with you. I can't believe they would run such an article with no creditable info. Just because something will burn as fuel, doesn't mean you should use it. He could probably make BIO by washing it with the right chemicals for cheaper than adding a cetane booster. Just my 2 cents.

#4 ·
BIO would've certainly been the way to go. It's clean out of the most important things along with being a safe fuel. Besides the fact he could possibly be pumping other waste automotive chemicals into his tank, the fact the ATF is 'used' just has bad news written all over it.
I was wondering how he was going to explain that to officer friendly when they tube his tank and give him a ticket for running "off road" fuel.
That's another point about finding a cheap alternative fuel. Not to mention the fact he puts a bottle of cetane booster, which I'm sure he ain't getting for free, the tickets he gets won't exactly get his fuel deal a 'pays for itself' rating!:hehe:

#5 ·
Richard runs it in his EX w/ 7.3 because he gets it for free. When he told me that he spent a less than $600 for fuel last year, I understood. He's a great guys and his EX is pretty bad a$$. If your ever in Thousand Oaks CA, stop at the Linex shop and ask him about it.

#6 ·
I'm don't doubt Richard is not a bad guy, but I think his choice of alternative fuel is a little.....well, forgive me for saying, but ludicrous. How much does he drop on a bottle of cetane booster per tank? In the article, it says he uses MotorCraft, which I'm sure isn't cheap.

#7 ·
To each their own I suppose in terms of what fuel you want to run....

As for Diesel Power magazine, they should rename it to Dodge Diesel Power Magazine. I think that mag has gone downhill in the last 12-18 months.

#12 ·
I agree. Now if I had a 12v cummins or a 6.9 or 7.3 IDI i would do it

#11 ·
I know some big rig guys in my town that have some older trucks. Sometimes they will put a new bottle of trans fluid in the fuel to clean injectors. I don't know if it actually works, but they have been doing it for years. I tried it in our old 6.0 and it didn't help. Ours was a lemon and went bye bye.

#13 ·
well guys i have been doin it. i work at a local dealership in town and get all my used atf for free. i got up to as much 90% aft in the summer. but for now a little less than half. but i dont add any octane boost. i just mix it with diesel.

#14 ·
hey guys, new to the site, but have been running 25-75% used atf/diesel mix since i bout my 2000 7.3 in 2004. havent noticed any loss in performance/reliability. i let sit for a couple of weeks in pails til i fill my xfer tank than filter it with a 1 micron xfer tank filter and pump it into truck tank. i still change my fuel filter every other oil change and havnt noticed any diff in appearance of filter. I also get the atf for free, kinda a hassle, but i have more time than money, so do what i can . thanks

#15 ·
But do you ATF guys realize the danger in the biproducts that are coming out of your exhaust pipe? I'm not a tree hugger by any means, but it's just dangerous for people to be breathing in, far more dangerous than gasoline fumes or diesel fumes!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.