remote start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2008, 06:47 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
remote start

who makes a resonably priced remote start for a 99 7.3. btw its a manual. do yall ever used one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2008, 07:10 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Remote start for a straight shift, bet you wont find anyone who would install something like that.
As forgetful as I am I’d bet it wouldn’t be long before I forgot I left her in gear and hit the button as I walked out of a store just in time to see old purple crawl up on the vehicle parked in front of it.
I got my remote starter on eBay new for like $35, took me about 4 hours to install and program it. Its worked pretty good for the 3 or 4 years I have had it, the parking light relay burned out early on and every once in a while I have to reset the remotes. Also there has been a couple occasions when the remote button must have accidentally got pushed in my pocket and the truck started up. Glad mine is an auto when that happens.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:23 PM
Emergency Services

hmm thats interesting. i never leave the truck in gear...ever. how hard was the install and is there a GP timer on it
Old 12-23-2008, 09:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

dont get one with a timer get one that taps into the glow plug light on the dash so when it goes out then it will start... this way if its really cold it will let it warm up first not just start at the same time every time.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:35 AM
Powerstroke Techie

It was not too hard to install and it does have an adjustable GP timer. You need a good electrical diagram for the truck and some talent for messing with sparks and magic and a little nerve to cut into all those wires.

I prefer timer over wait light controlled. I do not pay any attention to the factory wait light, it has nothing to do with the GP system and is not accurate. I always thought you had to wait until the plugs turned off before starting a diesel or it would mess them up but on our trucks the plugs stay on well after the light goes off and they are designed to stay on for a minute or two after the engine starts. I have found that I can decide when to start my truck much more successfully than the WTS light can. I have my remote start timer set for 30 seconds, that works good in cold weather and doesn’t hurt anything in warm weather.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to troid123
There are many companies that make remote start for standard's. The way they are set up, the parking brake must be set before you pull the keys from the ignition, this keeps the vehicle running when you pull the keys out, then the car will shut down once you shut the door after exiting the vehicle. If the vehicle door is opened for any reason without remote starting the vehicle prior it will not remote start. This basically makes it impossible to be in gear unless of course you have your windows rolled down and someone throws the vehicle in gear without opening the door.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:47 AM
Powerstroke Techie

I guess that makes sense, I hadn’t thought about it that way but that should work.
I always, always leave my straight shifts in gear when parked. I believe that it is even on the driver’s license test that you have to do that. I have had many vehicles that I would not trust the park brake. With an auto you have the tranny in park AND the brake. With a manual you also need double safety in my opinion.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:44 AM

I always leave mine in gear and parking brake on. I don't trust the parking brake.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I never leave any of my sticks in gear. I parked a truck one day, turned it of left it in gear on a hill. The parking brake was broken and I never fixed it. Well the truck decided to start rolling anyway and started back up. Now its in gear driving its self down the hill. Took out 2 cars and a dumpster. Now I make sure I park against a curb with the wheel turned or make sure my brake is fixed, but never will I use the transmission as a kickstand again.

And I couldnt find anybody to install a remote start in my stick trucks. They all say its a liability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.