Used Car Lot Liars - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2008, 01:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dsljnky
Used Car Lot Liars

Is there any used truck lots around the Cincinnati area who specialize in diesels? I am tired of the lots that you go in and they have no clue what they are talking about.

I went to a lot a few weeks ago in hamilton and the salesman told me the truck had twins. I thought "Awesome!" I opened the hood only to see one turbo. I was a little dissapointed and asked the guy where the other turbo was (knowing now that it only had one). He smiled at me like I was the idiot and pointed to the intake side and said "this is the first turbo." then pointed to the other half of the turbo and said "this is the second one." I laughed. Then I looked at him and said Is that so? Kinda smart ***. He knew I was onto him then...

I was at another dealer in harrison today and I asked the guy if they had any 7.3s on the lot. He said that they dont put the 7.3 in a new truck as far as he knowes.... WOW... NOOO SH!T!!! After I explaned the PSD years to him he took me to a 2006 4 door 4x4 6.0. Beautiful truck BTW. He said here I think this has the 7.3 in it. And before I knew it he had the keys and told me to take it on a test drive. (I did just b/c I wanted to go on a joy ride one way or another.) and when I came back he asked me what I thought. I said nice truck, but like I told you, Its not what I want. Not to mention the price tag of $25,000. He got mad at me! WTF is that all about?!

Im tired of used CAR salesman trying to sell me a truck. I want to talk to a real person who knows something about diesel, not some guy who is trying to BS me just bc I am young.

Since we are on the subject, do ya'll have ant funny used lot stories?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2008, 01:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to Cory S
dont buy from a dealer buy from a private seller IMO
Old 12-19-2008, 01:32 PM

Thats the plan, but I still like looking at the dealers. I need to get rid of the 150 and private sellers don do tradeins haha
Old 12-19-2008, 01:37 PM

You know more than they do, try to figure out how to use that to your advantage.

And buy from whoever has the best deal on the best truck.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:47 PM

Used car salesmen are a breed to themselves.
Several years ago, I was in the market for a used, late model F150. My wife and I go to the local Ford dealership and this old school salesman swoops on us. This guy has coffee stained teeth, a cigarette dangling from his fingers, and was constantly tugging on his tie like he was Rodney Dangerfield.
We tell him what we're looking for:a late model F150, 2WD, Extended Cab, SB, with an automatic. My wife adds that we're not picky about the color, but we don't want a white truck. The 1st (and last) truck he shows us is a white, 4WD, standard cab, with a manual trans. Well, he got the short bed right, LOL.
Fast forward a couple years, and we're looking for a car for my wife. We go to the same dealership, but get a different salesman. My wife wants a Mustang GT convertible. What does the salesman show us? A V6 Mustang coupe.
Don't they listen to their customers? In both cases we bought what we were looking for elsewhere.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:50 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Good luck finding a salesman that knows anything about the cars they sell much less diesels. Those guys dont last long in the business. The ones that sell alot know how to bullsh!t their way through the deal. Ive worked for 2 different companies as a car salesman about 8-9 years ago. You pretty much have to find the truck you want on your own and then play the game better then they play it. Even if you find the exact truck you want do let him know that. Dont ever let them know exactly what you are looking for. The less they know the better armed you are.

Good luck to you.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:56 PM

I take mine to carmax if you have one around you. They always give a couple hundred more than the dealer and then I go buy the other car I want.

Funny story...

I went to buy my first new car and my buddy went with me. Now, my buddy can sell ice to an Eskimo and has no problem being in big crowds and never gets embarrassed. So I talk to the saleslady and tell her exactly what I want price wise at the very beginning. So after the test drive and initial bargaining we make a deal and then I go to another room where someone else tries to sell me an alarm system and carpet protector. I politely said "no, this car is only a dependable means for me to go back and forth to work and nothing more. I want bare minimum." He said ok but kept trying to sell me some stupid $500 alarm system. I started getting agitated but calmly told him no 3 more times. So he finally gives up, writes up the contract, and hands it over to me to verify and sign. To my surprise the payments were $150 dollars more than I wanted. At this piont I had been in this dudes office which was more like a dungeon for almost an hour. Well, I lost it. Keep in mind, I'm 240 lbs and I work out regularly and this dude is 180 lbs soaking wet. He is obviously scared. My buddy gets embarrassed and leaves the office. So I'm in this dudes office yelling at this guy about all of the bullshat I've been through and the price that was already agreed on and why I want what I want. I basically let it all out no holds barred. Next thing I know, he's on the phone with the manager and he tells him I'm pissed. They talk in code for a minute and he hangs up. He says, "ok, here is what we are going to do. We are going to take off all of the interest and finance the car for free. I ended up getting the car for $25 dollars less than what I had already agreed on and they gave me another $500 for my trade plus I got 0 interest before they ever started the 0 interest thing.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tone View Post
You know more than they do, try to figure out how to use that to your advantage.

And buy from whoever has the best deal on the best truck.
Ya, I agree with ya there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGlide View Post
Used car salesmen are a breed to themselves.
Several years ago, I was in the market for a used, late model F150. My wife and I go to the local Ford dealership and this old school salesman swoops on us. This guy has coffee stained teeth, a cigarette dangling from his fingers, and was constantly tugging on his tie like he was Rodney Dangerfield.
We tell him what we're looking for:a late model F150, 2WD, Extended Cab, SB, with an automatic. My wife adds that we're not picky about the color, but we don't want a white truck. The 1st (and last) truck he shows us is a white, 4WD, standard cab, with a manual trans. Well, he got the short bed right, LOL.
Fast forward a couple years, and we're looking for a car for my wife. We go to the same dealership, but get a different salesman. My wife wants a Mustang GT convertible. What does the salesman show us? A V6 Mustang coupe.
Don't they listen to their customers? In both cases we bought what we were looking for elsewhere.
Thats funny but very true they dont listen to exactly what you want. They hear make and model and they start shootin vehicles your way. haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMart View Post
Good luck finding a salesman that knows anything about the cars they sell much less diesels. Those guys dont last long in the business. The ones that sell alot know how to bullsh!t their way through the deal. Ive worked for 2 different companies as a car salesman about 8-9 years ago. You pretty much have to find the truck you want on your own and then play the game better then they play it. Even if you find the exact truck you want do let him know that. Dont ever let them know exactly what you are looking for. The less they know the better armed you are.

Good luck to you.
Thank you very much! That does make a lot of since. I guess that way I could talk them down on the perfect truck when as far as they know its not really what im looking for. Thats genious, but I guess to some people they will read this and say no sh!t kid haha But thank you for the insight!
Old 12-19-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by symbols View Post
I take mine to carmax if you have one around you. They always give a couple hundred more than the dealer and then I go buy the other car I want.

Funny story...

I went to buy my first new car and my buddy went with me. Now, my buddy can sell ice to an Eskimo and has no problem being in big crowds and never gets embarrassed. So I talk to the saleslady and tell her exactly what I want price wise at the very beginning. So after the test drive and initial bargaining we make a deal and then I go to another room where someone else tries to sell me an alarm system and carpet protector. I politely said "no, this car is only a dependable means for me to go back and forth to work and nothing more. I want bare minimum." He said ok but kept trying to sell me some stupid $500 alarm system. I started getting agitated but calmly told him no 3 more times. So he finally gives up, writes up the contract, and hands it over to me to verify and sign. To my surprise the payments were $150 dollars more than I wanted. At this piont I had been in this dudes office which was more like a dungeon for almost an hour. Well, I lost it. Keep in mind, I'm 240 lbs and I work out regularly and this dude is 180 lbs soaking wet. He is obviously scared. My buddy gets embarrassed and leaves the office. So I'm in this dudes office yelling at this guy about all of the bullshat I've been through and the price that was already agreed on and why I want what I want. I basically let it all out no holds barred. Next thing I know, he's on the phone with the manager and he tells him I'm pissed. They talk in code for a minute and he hangs up. He says, "ok, here is what we are going to do. We are going to take off all of the interest and finance the car for free. I ended up getting the car for $25 dollars less than what I had already agreed on and they gave me another $500 for my trade plus I got 0 interest before they ever started the 0 interest thing.
HAHA NICE! Cant beat that!
Old 12-19-2008, 04:31 PM

Where you at in Cincy? There is a pretty nice used car lot that only deals with work trucks in Milford on 28. Its hit or miss, but they usually always have nice trucks on their lot no junk. Craigslist is about going to be your best bet though, besides the classified in the newspapers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.