Noob here with questions :) and a bit of humor - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2008, 06:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Noob here with questions :) and a bit of humor

So, the time has come for me to buy a new truck. Well it will be new to me anyway, but actually used.

Living in Louisiana I want a 4x4 and Im a large person, 6 foot 2 and 400 lbs so yeah my old dodge single cab is kinda tight. In fact the steering wheel is getting hard to turn after this years thanksgiving dinner

So instead of going on a fad diet I thought I'd grab me a used Ford f250 or 350 as the prices seem really cheap considering a new one goes for 45k+ these days. This way I'd have more room(hopefully) and a 4x4 so I can stop worrying about getting stuck in the woods and walking home.

Funny story, I took my dodge out last summer to a beach down south in Louisiana to do some fishing. I saw this subaru car driving along in the sand and thought why the hell not? So I took off in my 2 wheel drive dodge truck and low and behold a minute later I was stuck in the sand and couldn't get any traction while the little car was still going.
Luckily for me some guy came along in a jeep 4x4 and nicely offered to pull me out. I MUST HAVE 4X4 on next vehicle, lol. Oh and come to find out those subarus have all wheel drive or something cool like that.

Anyway back to what I came here to ask you guys. I went to autotrader and BAM was I suprised to see all these 2-4 year old Ford big old 4x4 f250's for like 15-18k bucks. I was like wow thats a LOT of truck for a little money. Then I started doing a bit of research and about scared the bejeebies out me if you know what I mean. All this talk of ford suing the engine maker on the 6.0 diesels and the majority of the f250's I was oogling had that 6.0 in them.

In fact I just read an article where ford lost untold millions because apparently they supply ambulances to a ton of different city's and the medical community is so fed up with the problems they have had with ford over the diesel ambulances that they are switching. I mean you cant have an ambulance break down when someones life is dependant on it.

I heard though that the old 7.3 diesel was a workhorse and though it was slow, it was so tough you couldn't hardly kill it. I also understand that the 7.3 was made up until 2003 when they switched over to the 6.0

So I modified my search on Autotrader and found some 2001-2003 fords for decent prices. Now Im a stupid noob when it comes to these things but one ford in particular I was looking at, said it has an 8 cylinder diesel in it. That is the 7.3 right? I just want to make sure because Im definantly not a car person and have no idea about all that. I assume that means when it says it has an 8 cylinder it is a 7.3?

Also what do you guys think of the ford v10 gas engine? I know this is a diesel forum but I could get a 2005-6 f250 with a v10 instead of a diesel engine. I figured though that the v10 would eat gas like these no tomorrow. Also I wondered if the v10 would last anywhere near as long as the 7.3 in terms of life expectancy.

It was my hope that I could buy a 7.3 with less than 100k miles on it and keep it till I had around 300k miles. For me that would be like 10 years
I dont pull anything other than a normal bass boat and I think it only weighs about 1500 pounds, so I doubt it would even tax a big ol truck like these. I dont race my vehicles and I dont really abuse them. i change oil every 3k miles and air filter every 6k.

Anyway the ford I was looking at heres the link from autotrader:

Cars For Sale: Car Details - AutoTrader.com

For those that dont want to bother clicking link heres the details:

2003 F250 4x4 Supercab Superduty
8 Cylinder diesel engine
58,396 original miles One owner vehicle
Fx4 offroad edition and the original owner has included all service records.

This seems like a gem of a truck but I dont want to make a mistake. Do you think this vehicle will have enough room for me? Does this model have the 7.3 diesel and if so, do you think I could get say another 150k miles out of it?

I dont make a ton of money so when I buy something I like to drive it till the tires fall off of it literally. If my single cab dodge wasn't so uncomfortable with my big butt in it, I wouldn't even be considering buying something else. I just want something reliable that will last me a long long time. I heard these diesels last way longer than gas engines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2008, 06:43 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

If its the 7.3 it looks to be a pretty good price with the mileage. You have some room to talk them down I believe. You will need to call or email them to be sure its not a 6.0 as they came with both those engines in model year 03. Good luck on your search
Old 12-13-2008, 06:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You shouldn't have any problems just check with them witch actuall motor is in it, like said above and talk them down a bit also.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:08 AM

did you look around the classified section on this site ? I've seen alot of good deals on here and most of these folks have done some really useful mods to their trucks.

and I love my 7.3. like you said: not that fast but live forever with not much cost in maintanence. Good luck
Old 12-13-2008, 07:12 AM
Premium Member

Bad news!

I did the free search on Car Fax and it shows this truck has the 6.0L. This was the first year for this motor and I believe the most troublesome year also.

VIN 1FTNX21P73ED44232
Year/Make/Model: 2003 FORD F250 SUPER DUTY
Body Style: 4 DOOR EXTENDED CAB PICKUP
Engine Type: 6.0L V8 FI
Manufactured In: UNITED STATES
Search Results: 6 records found in our database

CARFAX vehicle history for VIN 1FTNX21P73ED44232

Good luck on your search.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensiv View Post
I did the free search on Car Fax and it shows this truck has the 6.0L. This was the first year for this motor and I believe the most troublesome year also.

VIN 1FTNX21P73ED44232
Year/Make/Model: 2003 FORD F250 SUPER DUTY
Body Style: 4 DOOR EXTENDED CAB PICKUP
Engine Type: 6.0L V8 FI
Manufactured In: UNITED STATES
Search Results: 6 records found in our database

CARFAX vehicle history for VIN 1FTNX21P73ED44232

Good luck on your search.
ty ty for looking that up for me, I'll steer clear of it. Also I'll check out your classified ads
Old 12-13-2008, 09:22 AM

carfax record doesnt mean a bad thing
Old 12-13-2008, 09:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghawg98 View Post
carfax record doesnt mean a bad thing
true but the first year 6.0's are not for me
Old 12-13-2008, 11:39 AM

I will try to answer a few of your questions. First off all the powerstroke diesel motors are V8, so yes the 7.3s are but so are the 6.0 and the 6.4 Second, the V10 isn't anything like a diesel, the 7.3 will run circles around the v10 and will do so for alot more years and miles then the V10. I have drove both and would take a 7.3 over the v10 anyday. And for the amount of miles your talking about putting on your truck over the next ten years, i would deff no rule out a 6.0, just would try to get an 04 and up model year. While they havn't had near as many test on the 6.0 as the 7.3 there are a buttload of them out there that have well over 300k on them. I also like the tranny in the 6 liter as to the 7.3 compairing them stock to stock. Also the 05 and up 4x4 have coil front ends, alittle tighter turning radius also a smoother ride. Just a few things to keep in mind. the 7.3 will achieve higher mpg if thats something that is a factor for you. And another place you may want to search is craigslist.com in your area, never know what you will run across. Good luck with your search and most people here are very knowledgeable and friendly and will gladly give you their opinions on most things you ask.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:59 AM

I have an 03 6.0L and it has been great.

I think the ones with the problems are the ones with problems (i.e. some are bad out of the box) and the ones with bad owners who do not take care of it.

I would not be afraid of the first yr 6.0s, besides, they have the SEXIEST turbo whistle of all 6.0s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.