Looking for advice on best year F-250 between 2000-2005 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2008, 03:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking for advice on best year F-250 between 2000-2005

I'm not currently a Powerstroke owner, however I am planning on it shortly. I'm currently in Iraq serving in the Army and when I return am planning on purchasing a 2000-2005 F-250, 4x4 powerstroke. I have looked around and see that most trucks in that year bracket have between 125,000-200,000 miles. I was looking for any info as to what to expect asfar as maintance around this time frame and what kind of milage people are getting out of their trucks in this year range. My Dad has a 98' F-250 powerstroke with well over 300,000 mi and seeing if that is a common trend? Thanks for any help and info given.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2008, 04:33 AM
Infidel

Howdy and thanks for serving.
Maintenance varies on what the previous owner has done, modifications to the truck and so forth, plus that is a wide range (125K - 200K). Mileage will also vary depending on what has been done to the truck. I have a 7.3 w/ 337,000(currently down with tranny issues) but when it was running I averaged around 18mpg hwy 13-15 city. I could squeeze 21-22 out of it on the hwy driving 55 and keeping the RPM's down. But mine is a 2WD and you are looking at a 4X4. Even with that some of the owners around here are getting pretty good MPG's with 4X4's.
High mileage 300K and up isn't hard to do as long as the vehicle / engine is maintained (ie oil changes).
Good luck with the search, they are definitely good, reliable, fun trucks to own.

Be safe,
Craig
Old 12-05-2008, 08:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

There were several changes in 05 that are nice. They went to coil springs on the front, nicer ride, and tightened the turning circle so you can park easier.

Someone correct me here - did the 5R11 transmission come out in 05? It's bulletproof.

There were some quality issues with 03 and 04 6.0's, primarily improper head torque at the factory and a bad batch of injectors from Siemens that would break and hydrolock the engine. By now, most 03's and 04's that would have trouble have already had it.

Can't speak for the 7.3's, and probably don't need to - most people who own them, love them.

As for mileage: I drive an 06 F350 with dually rear and 4.11 gears. Getting 19-20 @ 55, 18 @ 65, anything over 70 and it starts to drink. Averaging around 15-16 in mixed city/hwy, but that's with a real light foot. Mash the pedal hard, and it sucks the fuel down. Winter diesel seems to be costing me around 1mpg, maybe a bit more.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:48 AM

I would say either the 2000 7.3 or the 05. The 00 7.3 is going to be a sure thing to have forged rods and be a stout reliable truck.

The 05 is more refined and drives great with the updated suspension, and has the updated look. The 6.0 isnt anything to be scared of I know some, a good bit , have had problems but I love mine.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:56 PM

i agree 2000 mine is a 2001 but the motor was made in 2000 so it has the forged rods instead of the pressed one. any 7.3 has been proven to be tough with the right mods is will smoke all 6.0 mine has 132,000 and the tyranny is the only thing that went out at 98,000 the tyranny is the week link the tork converter can not handle the tork. so i would say 99 to 2001 but trany will need to be beefed if you put the power to it. seen to many problems with the 6.0s
Old 06-17-2009, 07:31 PM

it all depends on if you want a harder riding turck or softer one i am buying a 97 350 with the 7.3 for my landscape business to replace my old jeep i would probly go with the 03 6.0 it actually has less problems then the 05 but the 06 now is the best year to get had almost no problems the 05 has bad egrs not that all of them dont but the 03 is the only year i know that dosent have that problem but dose has a couple diffrent i did go to school for this stuff but its hard to get a job to hold down now
Old 06-18-2009, 01:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I used to drive a 97 PS 4x4 CC and could get about 18 going 80 to Colorado. It was a stick and I know those get better mileage. It was bulletproof, and wish it was never gotten rid of.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:06 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Boy View Post
I'm not currently a Powerstroke owner, however I am planning on it shortly. I'm currently in Iraq serving in the Army and when I return am planning on purchasing a 2000-2005 F-250, 4x4 powerstroke. I have looked around and see that most trucks in that year bracket have between 125,000-200,000 miles. I was looking for any info as to what to expect asfar as maintance around this time frame and what kind of milage people are getting out of their trucks in this year range. My Dad has a 98' F-250 powerstroke with well over 300,000 mi and seeing if that is a common trend? Thanks for any help and info given.
Here is some info about buying a used truck for you

What to look for when buying a used 6.0L

What to look for when buying a USED 99-03 PSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.