Is Chevy screwed? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 11:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is Chevy screwed?

Have y'all heard about this?? They apparently knew about the faulty problems but never issued a recall, just fixed the new problems. I can't even imagine the lawsuits, especially since 13 people died. That's crazy..

LA Times

Chevy crash victim's mom: Meeting with GM 'was a waste of my time' - TODAY.com

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2014, 12:10 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
First off, people are still today buying brand new Chevys.
Second, and this really burns me up, my parents and their parents have preached and preached about having all that stuff hanging from your keychains. People who do that assume responsibility for damaged ignitions IMO.
Lastly, call me cold hearted, but most of us 6.0 owners have had rigs die while driving, not to mention old carburetor rigs... its beyond me how people couldn't stop the vehicle. Yes I understand a few cases, but really...
Old 04-03-2014, 03:18 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
^^^ this is why explains how many a lawsuit should be thrown out, I don't blame Chevy for not making an ignition that can hold up to 300lbs, who the f*** would
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 351fifty For This Useful Post:
Heavy_GD (04-03-2014), jeep1980 (04-14-2014)
Old 04-03-2014, 03:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

OK, imagine your driving at 50 mph and your vehicle shuts down. Now these were also small cars, most owners of which probably never even knew power steering didnt exist so many years ago. Ive had a vehicle shut off like that. Steering is night and day, but Ive been behind the wheel with no power steering. And the brakes did not funtion up to specs with no power. Now for the lawsuit, its not that the ignition shutoff, but the fact that when it did, the AIRBAGS shorted out and would not deploy. Had the airbags deployed some of the people would have lived. THATS the lawsuit. Thats what the faulty ignition caused. It shut down key safety features. I agree with the lawsuit. Chevy tried to hide the problem when they were bailed out. Now its come to light that the recall should have been done after the first crash.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I heard as well that since GM was in the process of emerging from bankruptcy that some of these lawsuits cant be leveed against them, that would be unbelievable if true. My wife and I bought a 2002 Malibu in 2003 and have had issues with the theft system activating totally at random and sometimes not for months but on occasion it will. after it started happening I did some checking and this is a common issues for this model but since it wasnt under warranty it cant be fixed without replacing the CPU. A truck driver was stranded in Canada in the winter and froze to death because his car would start......its sad how much people spend on a car that might malfunction and kill them.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:52 PM
information regurgitator

From what I have read, GM can not be sued for anything that happened previous to their Government Motors bailout. Essentially from that point on, GM is a "new" company and would not be held responsible for what happened previous to its creation.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC F-350 View Post
From what I have read, GM can not be sued for anything that happened previous to their Government Motors bailout. Essentially from that point on, GM is a "new" company and would not be held responsible for what happened previous to its creation.
This is partially correct and partially incorrect. GM was supposed to list all liabilities to include the faulty parts they knew were out there. Had they done that they would have still been liable as the bankruptcy excludes those types. Now they are in front of Congress because they knew it was there. Its being called bankruptcy fraud. If proven, then they will again be liable for damages and open to HUGE lawsuits. I dont know what will happen on the gvnt side. But this all rides on if they can prove they knew the recall should have been announced then. The problem is that no one in charge at the time knew about them because they had been newly appointed. GM hid the problem very well.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:39 AM

I bought a 2012 cruze, as a disposable commuter and havent had any issues with the ignition. only issue is my 6.0 gets better milage! Never buying a GM product again. Taking it to the auto fair next weekend and Ill just commute in my truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.